SolarCity - Resigned for many, many reasons | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Resigned for many, many reasons"

Former Employee - Solar Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Solar Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a high-flying, exciting company with a stud Chairman in Elon Musk.

Cons

They've grown too fast, so have not properly trained their installers, leading to multiple rooftop disasters while on my watch. Also, they cut all salespeople's pay once their business values shifted to please their Wall Street shareholders. Get ready for 12 hour days, 6 days per week if you want to get ahead as a salesperson.

Advice to Management

Change the way you manage/value your salesforce.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"A company that believes in you as much as its product."

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What we offer is energy, at a better price, it sells itself. Easy to get promoted. Great Pay, Salary PLUS commission. Great management team. Everyone is friendly. Company provides the training and equipment to do your job.

Cons

You have a quota that you are expected to maintain and exceed. You usually work a lot and can basically say bye to your weekends.

"Empty promises and total chaos - definitely avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

You start out feeling like you are contributing to helping the environment, but that goes away quickly. The office and facilities are nice.

Cons

-Upper management definitely acts before it thinks. Examples: Laying someone off only to hire someone to replace them in less than 3 months, relocating an entire department to Las Vegas and then laying everyone off.
    -Constant reorganization of departments and reporting structure. Constant title changes (with no compensation bump, of course) so no one really ever knows what anyone else is doing at a given time. Major passing of the buck going on here.
    -Unrealistic deadlines and quotas
    -They advertise growth opportunities, but when I asked for support in exploring a position in another department I was squashed and completely discouraged. I think it blacklisted me so when it came time to reduce my department I was first to go.

I would absolutely not recommend this company to anyone. Don't be fooled by all the smoke and mirrors and impressive stock prices!

Advice to Management

Managers should be accountable. There are a lot of selfish egos in the SolarCity game, guys who want green-tech on their resume for a year or so but have really no idea what they are doing. I think the guys at the top (CEO) have good intentions, but the guys they bring in to make things happen screw things up big time and employees consistently suffer.