SolarCity - Great company for corp positions & B2C sales | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Great company for corp positions & B2C sales"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company overall. Good benefits, 401k, stock, etc. Terrific growth outlook for the next five to ten years on the residential side. Incredible internal EE referral program.
Well thought out approach to the market. Great tools for the field reps to use.

Cons

Training is "fire-hose" style. Then you are thrown into the mix. Lots of conflicting information about what is and is not current/acceptable policy. It's a fast moving company, unfortunately that tends to lead to more than a little "Ready, Fire, Aim" in execution.

High burn-out rate. High expectations of accountability (8PM teleconference six nights per week for some managers). Need to be available to manager~12/7. The immediacy of the job often has reps going months without an actual day off.

VERY numbers based sales organization. Heavy on SFDC reports and Excel spreadsheets. No traditional "Sales Management" used; no coaching. More telling than listening. More lecturing than teaching. More reactive than proactive. (This MAY not be the case company-wide, but was seen prevalently in the Bay Area)

Even with a field team (FEAs) generating "qualified" leads at The Home Depot, Best Buy, mall kiosks, fairs, etc, the distribution of those leads is entirely subjective. Leads are almost always sent to the FECs who have been there the longest, leaving newer rep to scramble. The only alternative is for FECs to spend 20 - 30 hours each week at retail location to insure that the leads coming in go to them.

Virtually no marketing presence. There are a lot of mis-conceptions about how SolarCity approaches renewable energy, but no concerted effort to get the information to the marketplace. For the FEAs and FECs this puts them in a constant uphill battle.

Although sales contests and incentives abound, they are often complex, convoluted and hard to understand the metrics to achieve success.

* Recommended to friends under the right circumstances
** Six month Business outlook: Good. Outlook on Improvements to above: Poor
*** Avoid the residential side if your expertise is Business-To-Business

Advice to Management

Invest more in training. Lots of reps in the field "selling" a poorly crafted vision of SC product and performance.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"Horrible place to work!"

Former Contractor - Temp in San Mateo, CA
    Former Contractor - Temp in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about working here. The best thing was that I was only a temp, so I could leave asap!

Cons

I hated working here! The management was rude, and they treated the temps so badly. People were rude, mean, and angry all the time. I could tell people were talking behind my back, and I was often criticized for things that weren't in my control. I tried my best to get along with everyone, but I was given attitude every single day. Do yourself a favor and don't work here!

Advice to Management

Please treat your staff better!

"My experience here in Solarcity has been a great ride of knowledge."

Current Employee - Installer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn something new everyday
    It's fun working with new people
    Knowing that your saving the planet
    Work not to difficult

Cons

Working in hot temperatures
    Working with ropes

Advice to Management

Working with this company over this pass year, I have learned and conquer many positions.
    I been an assistant auditor for about 8 to 9 months. I can do a site audit from start to finish. While installing I can complete the roof from being the first man up to being the last man down. Do need some help with breaking in the main services panels, and hanging and wiring inverters.