SolarCity - Mixed | Glassdoor

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Field Sales in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Field Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a very creative, hard charging, entrepreneurial company engaged in the very difficult task of reinventing how energy is generated.

Cons

In the complicated act of balancing the interests of employees, customers, and shareholders, the Company errs towards the latter, "the company eats first."

Doubling annual revenue (hockey stick) growth is hard to manage, it is a chaotic environment with lots of broken internal processes.

Certain individuals in upper management are not well qualified for their roles

Advice to Management

It is ironic that a leader in the field of sustainability has created an internal environment that is unsustainable.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"As of today, it's the role that I was hired as or signed up for......."

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was first hired it was the perfect work-life balance. My requirements that got me to my second interview were: MBA, previous work exp.- owner and management exp., and motivation to run this business as my own. Earning power and great potential to achieve my goals were foreseeable.

Cons

As of today, Solarcity has changed my position to 10-7 clocking in and out, can not manage as my own business, pay structure is different. There is not a work-life balance when my quota has not been adjusted according to days worked. For example if I only have worked 10 days in a month, and still expected to hit a "30 day" quota- there is no "work-life balance". Previously, we (FEA's) were able to schedule our FEC's to help us generate Opps when we were not at the store. The FEA job has been reduced to an average retail job that can not support a family, nor a single person. As a "celeb FEA" last year- as they called me. I only earned 27,000- putting me in the poverty income bracket as a mother of two. Sad!

Advice to Management

What brought me to Solarcity was the flexibility to achieve my goals and run it as my own business. This is a sales job, and sales jobs do not work any specific hours, and nor do I now have a lot of options of where I work, when and who I give my Opps to. This job in the later months almost cost me my marriage, and several thousands of dollars that I did not make. Moving forward, I need the flexibility to work different shifts, trade with others, give my Opps to sales people that I trust. Working 8 hours on a Sunday is a waste and it's something that I can not do but once a month. The inability to have FEC's generate Opps for us is also a problem. I am making less money now than ever!

"Short and quick"

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were good, makes family life easy.

Cons

The pay is awful starting and commission structure can take forever to get it all, lead quality is poor at best. Generating own leads is not easy and depending on the area non existant. Support was poor, manager worked with me once in 6 months, training needs major improvement. In Massachusetts most people don't qualify. Few people had company car. Huge turnover numbers most tenure people are a year in sales

Advice to Management

Work on a training program that's hands on. The different plans for solar can be confusing and are not explained in the begining