SolarCity - Poor mid level Managment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Poor mid level Managment"

Former Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Martinez, CA
Former Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Martinez, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work with cool people who have the same vision
- Flexible schedule
- CEO’s are very involved and are always motivating
- Company Car (You can use it for personal)
- Gas Card

Cons

I’ve worked for the company for 10 months and had 3 different regional managers within those 10 months. There is very high turnover with this company as I was a vet working there less than a year. On one of our last calls before I left the company they expressed concern on why they had lost over 200 employees across the company in one month.
I’ve been in sales for over 10 years and have never worked for a company that has had poor mid-level management. I say poor meaning my Regional Manager didn’t even know who to have a coaching conversation. I understand that everyone needs to start somewhere, but SolarCity really needs to set up their managers for success and not promote people based of the buddy system. They also need to realize just because someone can sell doesn’t mean they can manage a team of 15 consultants.
There is no clear path for your development. I logged into “peopleworks” and tried to start a development path and sign up for some online classes. There wasn’t 1 glass available on the entire site that would aid me in my career path. And having a manager who doesn’t know how to have a coaching conversation wouldn’t be any help to my development anyway.
You’re told that you will receive half of your leads from the Field Energy Advisors. These are lead generators who work in The Home Depot and Best Buy. The fact is, if you want any of the leads from the lead generators you have to work with them inside the stores for the leads to come to you. So this is the process for……….

1) Generate your own leads (Lead generators are pointless if you have to go in and generate your leads with them.)
2) Run the in-home consultation
3) Design the system
4) Sign the customer up
5) Get all the required paperwork from the customer and email it to HQ
6) Once the final system is designed you’ll need to get another signature for the “Final Amendment”
7) They you get paid once the system is up on the customers roof.

So you’re basically doing everything from start to finish, being the project manager, and making sure the system gets installed so you get paid. It’s a lot of work required for a 35k base salary. Yes, you do make commission but you’ll be working 7 days a week if you want to make around 60k-70k. They’ll tell you it’s easy to make 100k, but the fact is only one person in my entire region was making that. If it’s so easy, why is only one person making that? Everyone else was making about 55k.

Keep in mind there are great people who work for this company and have earned where they are today. This reveiw is for Berkeley Ca and surrounding regions not for the entire compnay.

Advice to Management

-Have a clear career path for those looking to develop.
-Sales will grow with the right people in place.
-Just because you can sell doesn’t mean you can manage.

SolarCity Response

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for your detailed response. We are very proud of our mission and culture—we are here to help save the world! I will be sharing your feedback with our sales team as we are always looking... More

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"Ever changing, busy, challenging and fun!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are paving the way to a better tomorrow, we work as a team and there is always room for growth.

Cons

The metrics driven mentality is not conducive for the best possible experience for both the customer and the employee. I have seen poor work and mediocrity rewarded on numerous occasions because of false numbers. The bonus structure incentivizes poor quality.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the quality over quantity. Announce the availability of promotions or new positions more widely. Only promote from within.

"You're a part of making a difference"

Current Employee - Coordinator in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is learning and experiencing new things together. It is a great family here at SolarCity, teamwork is everything. Everyone working together with a positive mind set is only helping the company achieve above and beyond!

Cons

The company has grown so quickly that some of the processes have been left behind and we need to remember everything matters, even the little stuff. There is lots of change right now but I believe we will come out on top!

Advice to Management

Be mindful of processes that expand while the company grows. Some positions that once only required one person, may now require a couple people.