Solers - Poor Management | Glassdoor

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

Founded by Bright Virginia Tech Grads Engineers with a Idea for a new product. They showed courage leaving their company to strike out on their own. They recruit some sharp people from VT which keeps the senior staff on their toes.

Cons

My Managers just didn't know how to give timely direct feedback. Instead, I always received feedback from my managers manager who I had never directly worked with. The feedback was vague unmeasurable comments with no clean quantifiable goals for improvement. A very strange way to manager and mentor employees!

Their work/life balance was also just out of balance.
On one occasion I volunteered to help out another group make a deadline by working Saturdays and Sundays. During that time I had to cancel a very important appointment that was on a Sunday because of work. Finally, I had no choice and couldn't put off the appointment any longer, and made it during the weekday. That was viewed as a non-team player think to do.

Advice to Management

Please keep in mind that most employees want to be given the chance to be part of the solution if given the chance. We appreciate honesty as to management intentions. Instead I saw employees treated as part of the problem and disposable.

Other Employee Reviews for Solers

1. "Great Company"

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Didn't get a call back after they told me they would

2. "Good for Growing Young Talent"

I have been working at Solers full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people. Young, social, motivated staff. Casual work atmosphere. Great benefits. Lots of leave. Tuition reimbursement and training stipend. Opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility at a young age.

Cons

Upper management all home-grown with few agents for change. Many communication issues up and down the organization. Not a lot of chance for promotion.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at