Solstice - Great People, Great Culture, Great Place to Work! | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "You have a training budget and training days that you can use pretty liberally if you want to do anything related to professional development" (in 34 reviews)

• "Best culture and work life balance is great" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "With each period of rapid growth Solstice experiences some growing pains" (in 21 reviews)

• "work-life balance can take a hit at times" (in 9 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Great People, Great Culture, Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Solstice part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great! They're very smart, creative, and you can tell everyone is happy to come to work. Servant leadership is the backbone of the company and it really shows in employee interactions and in client work.

Cons

The organization has experienced a lot of growth and some systems haven't been completely formalized yet. Despite a few growing pains here and there, the executive team and operations staff are receptive to feedback (positive and constructive alike.)

Solstice Response

Mar 6, 2019 – CEO

Thank you for your post. Keep your feedback coming, conversations are the key to creating a place we are all proud to work.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Lack of projects/sales is dampening sincere initiatives. Disorganized, lack of cohesion in core competencies"

Former Employee - Engineering Tech in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Tech in Chicago, IL

I worked at Solstice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sincere desire to do good, shows in various HR initiatives
    - Focus on hard goals such as Digital TX instead of easy ones that many others adopt
    - Involved and accessible management - CEO, CTOs listen, unlike many other companies
    - Lots of young, energetic and dedicated staff; being encourages - Will pay off
    - Encourages training and growth
    - Celebrates socialization, cultural and charitable causes

Cons

I am very sorry to say - While the long list of Pros above come with deep, sincere appreciation for the enormity of what Solstice has taken on, my list of cons is equally grievous.
    - Very haphazard and chaotic alignment of teams and goals. Leadership looks blind-sided most times
    - Most initiatives start with a few meetings, where a few "BIG-5" consultants hired for their "talk" give big speeches. I tried to get involved in a few very sincerely. These "talking heads" only wanted you to do the work but will NEVER let you talk to the customers
    - Technical capabilities of staff is not scaling or leveling up. The focus is solely on cheap Internet learning such as Udemy, Coursera etc. There is a clear lack of organization in learning. Some of us offered to help but the initiative didn't go anywhere.
    - Most dangerous of all - They hardly have a reliably growing customer base. For some reason, even in growth spaces, they are unable to find customers.
    - I talked to consultants all the time and quite a few customers were quite narcissistic with consultants expected to tow the line. Even senior members were at the mercy of customers' whims. I know "customer comes first" but Solstice has a habit of finding troublesome ones.
    - Servant Leadership is the biggest and the worst "Lip Service". There is no such thing except on paper. I hardly met any leader that cared anything the juniors had to say, perhaps except Henry? (CTO?), whom I found very amiable to even junior consultants. The leaders nod their heads when you talk but you can clearly see they are just waiting for you to finish talking so they can wash off the pretense.
    - The lack of customers and technical directions often leads to random layoffs. I found that very troubling. In any case, the market is good so most talented people are able to find work.
    - The level of noise about events, activities was falsely deafening. Consultants who had become close friends usually cut themselves off, often taking over the events and with little room for inputs.
    - Here is a classic example of falsity of socialization in Solstice. One fine day, a nice consultant was celebrating an anniversary. Not one person showed up to celebrate even for a few minutes even after multiple invitations.

Advice to Management

What can you advise a company or management where the focus is on a false "culture" rather than growing/scaling together to face application modernization challenges? I don't know.

I still wish the company and leadership well. Running a ship this kind in uncharted waters is not easy. But much needs to be done.

First thing is - Stop overselling the culture while hiring, it appears real phony real soon.

"A company that does not stand behind what it claims"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solstice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to large companies and enterprises that embody what a good company culture should look like

Cons

As other reviewers said. Solstice marketing makes it *look* like this is a fantastic place to work. Once you're here, it's quite the opposite. You are suddenly staffed on projects that add 3 hours of commute time per day, without any say against this (I actually had colleagues doing a DAILY commute back-and-forth from Chicago to Madison, WI). Solstice still expects you to make up your full billable hours, without compensating you in any way for the commute or your time. In the case of my project, they asked for our feedback. I pushed project leadership hard for things like grocery delivery stipends or cleaning services... things that would show people on the project that Solstice cares about the time that you're sacrificing to take on an extra 15 hours per week in commuting time, and provide a convenience to them that was inexpensive to Solstice. This idea was shot down.

Speaking of hours that you're not paid for, Solstice's touts its annual volunteer event, Pay It FWD. If you'd like to participate in this event and go volunteer for a charity, *you are required to make up every billable hour that week that you're going to miss while volunteering.* Solstice volunteers nothing to these causes. If social responsibility and philanthropy were actually important to you as a company, this event would not be modeled this way. I've worked for big, legitimate consulting firms before, and they paid for your time spent volunteering as their contribution to these charities.

Also, your pay is mediocre, and vacation days are an absolute joke. The most horrendous to me is that Solstice does not observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. This is 2018, and that just makes me cringe. You will also be expected to work pretty much every other holiday except for Christmas (*not* Christmas Eve), New Years Day, and the Fourth of July.

While you're at Solstice, there is no personal space or sense of privacy. You sit across from coworkers at the same distance as if you were sharing an intimate dinner together (no barriers, no dividers). The intense workload you're given is in conflict with the number of times per day your coworkers will make eye contact with you and ask you to take your headphones out, to ask you a non-urgent question.

What makes the lack of personal space and privacy even more maddening is that there are few expectations set around professionalism with Solstice's employees. One of my Solstice coworkers told our client all about their drunk driving accident, others will break out in to yelling and nerf gun wars while you're trying to take a phone call with your client.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is. We aren't dumb. A free breakfast, pizza, or happy hour every so often doesn't represent leadership that cares about their employees.

Set expectations: During interviews, onboarding, etc. When you don't make the investment to onboard employees correctly before they go on to projects, the rest of the teams on those projects suffer. I have experienced this firsthand a number of times, and have spoken with other colleagues that have seen the same. Set specific expectations. Communicate directly and often with employees that don't meet those.

Invest intelligently: Think about the sources of unhappiness and invest in those. Have UXR journey map the weeks of employees on different programs. Identify the pain points. Think about ways you can improve the quality of life of those employees. Then, actually follow through on delivering those!

Discover more reviews about Solstice.