Soma Intimates - For the most part fun and enjoy those I work with and customers are very nice. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Soma Intimates

"For the most part fun and enjoy those I work with and customers are very nice."

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people look their best and get a great fit. Hours and bonus if the schedule works out! Discount

Cons

Overall drama working with certain women can cause problems, the lack of promoting from within that happens for new store openings. Follow threw and accountability! Total lack of communication!

Advice to Management

Give credit to those girls that work very hard for you, make your numbers look good, clean and do shipment .

Other Employee Reviews for Soma Intimates

"Great product - awful company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product. That's about it.

Cons

PRODUCT:
    -Does not cater to larger or smaller women.
    -Extremely overpriced clothing and underwear

CUSTOMERS:
    -Often stuck up and will treat you like a slave.

EMPLOYEES:
    -Do not trust you
    -DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA, but maybe that comes from working with women?
    -They will discourage you so you don't try to sell so they can steal your sales
    -I did NOT at ALL feel welcomed since day one. I felt watched.

MANAGEMENT AND OVERALL COMPANY:
    -Awful. Granted, I had a manager who was bipolar and a district manager who was out to get everyone. But I have not seen one good manager. I have been in retail (and higher than an associate) to understand managers take all the heat and why they yell sometimes.There is no excuse for how mine acted.
    -Extremely demanding. Do not become a sales lead. You will be given all the responsibility of an ASM and only a few cents more on your pay.
    -Pay is extremely low, especially for retail
    -The "bonus" feature is bull. Because of certain state taxes, your bonus will only really protect SOME of your gross pay. You don't actually get most of it.
    -Your job is not so much to sell, but to get email. If you don't you will be fired eventually. They do not care if they schedule you on the slowest days, for only 10 hours a week. You still need to make it. You will get discouraged and unable to sell, but are still expected to fake it up.
    -The company is all about "integrity" but encourages lying and faking.
    -Makeup is now required to be worn. For a company that is all about women in their natural beauty they sure do adhere to society standards. They want you to dress like a CEO.
    -This company is very good at glamorizing itself to hide all of its ugly underneath.
    -This may be more personal, but for a company, again, who is all about women being themselves and naturally beautiful they are extremely stereotypical. In their training and their entire company standard, the words they use and so on they are very much catering to a typical society standard of women and how "we act". Somewhat sexist. What I am trying to say is it's like working for Cosmo magazine.
    -Schedules will often change under your nose.
    -One of the worst of all though, is covering your shift. The two people on the floor at all times rule is daunting and not needed. If you need to do something, no matter how important it is, and you are scheduled and cannot find someone to cover your shift you are screwed. The FLU went around the work place because they would not let two girls stay home and rest. One of them was puking and she could not call in, she had to write down phone numbers and find someone from home (wouldn't that count as working from home a little? Did you think of that, management?). They expect your life to be planned. Our ASM had her father in the hospital, couldn't call in, and was 10 minutes late and got shouted at.

This company is extremely stressful. The day I joined one girl quit. I have been working here for only some months and three more people have quit. I have never wanted out of a company so bad in my life, myself.

Advice to Management

THE EMAIL CAPTURE SYSTEM IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. NO ONE WANTS MORE EMAIL IN THEIR INBOX. Having someone's entire job based on lying to get someone's email address is a HORRIBLE company standard. This shows your company has no actual value or anything to show for. No actual integrity. Try other forms of advertising. The TV commercial was great. It worked.
    Lay off your employees a little. Watch your managers. Change your two on the floor policy.

"I felt like they didn't trust me, from day one. They are incredibly demanding…"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a pretty good discount most of the time and an enhanced discount at certain times. The lingerie is beautiful, well made and fits great! The hours aren't long at all and you have the ability to make some bonus money with larger sales.

Cons

You have to sell $85 or more to make any bonus'. $84.99 does not count! They search your purse every time you leave the store to see if you've stolen anything, which is a privacy issue to say the least. They don't care that you have a life and they will make you "call ahead" of your shift to see "if you need to come in". the dress code changed to all black, w/o warning.