Soma Intimates - I received some good sales experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Soma Intimates

"I received some good sales experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were fun to work with and I had a great boss. Employee discount is awesome, did a lot of shopping. Lots of teamwork at the location I was at. People would always help each other out and cover shifts if needed.

Cons

Starting pay is sad and had a lot of daily/weekly goals to meet. The fact of being only to wear two color options is such a negative. Supervisor was not alotted enough hours for the store to divide amongst employees. There were times when only hours I received for a week was 4.

Advice to Management

Start employees off with better pay and have better commission standards.

Other Employee Reviews for Soma Intimates

1. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a Sales Associate, I absolutely loved working there!

-they really train you to be a team-selling store
    -no shark mentality on the sales floor, it is all about add-ons, helping other employees build on top of their sale and vice versa
    -Soma products are great quality so it is very easy to genuinely love and sell the product
    -You work on a bonus system, you can make A LOT of money even as a sales associate

Cons

-As a sales associate, pay could have been better.
    -Sometimes they are too nice to customers and let them get away with too much in the return policy but again not too bad of a con.
    -I can't really find a con for this company, that is truly how great it is.

"Sorority House Company with Lip-Service Ideals & Low Pay"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Soma Intimates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful product, exceptional clients and sister selling associates make the job fun!

Cons

After the honeymoon phase, employees quickly see our Corporate priority is to Stockholders at expense of cutting support and pay to employees resulting in low morale and 5 times the work. Not a team goal oriented company.

Sweat shop mentality to running stores. Teams are not allocated enough Payroll hours or staff to complete required job responsibilities. Most boutiques have only 4 team members working weekdays - 2 associates during most shifts. Hard to unpack backroom stock same day, provide specialized bra fittings, steam clothing, finish client calling lists, clean entire store, outreach community for new clients plus complete all operational duties. OT is forbidden. Peer pressure to work off clock.

Outdated software and technology makes every responsibility a convoluted chore. Work smarter; not harder.

No work life balance. Mgr/Sales Leads work EVERY holiday including long prep hours for events plus 3 Saturdays and Sundays a month. Yes it is retail, but sister competitors manage to rotate their staff on holidays and work alternate weekends.

Pay is low. Will higher competitive; yet offers poor promotion raises and limited Performance Review annual raises to Selling Staff. The company is typically behind entering raises into Payroll system and often owes several weeks in Retro Pay that is hard to collect. Very little support from District and Regional Mgmt and often have to resort to Human Resources to resolve.

Wastes thousands of dollars a month on marketing mistakes and repetitive material that could be used to enhance employee salaries.

DSM/RSM fail to use due diligence in resolving conflicts - staff is deemed guilty until proven innocent. Store Managers have to work extra hard to protect selling staff as well as personal leadership with triple copies documenting actions.

Commission plan is low return rate and Soma offers so many promotional sales and coupons, it's a challenge for associates to make more than $100 - $150 commissions a month.

Pressure to collect Email information from Clients violates Federal Privacy Information Acts, yet DSM will tell Store Managers to cut associate hours who are not getting email addresses from clients. Just to keep their jobs, several associates create false email accounts.

Upper Management does not lead by example the Values and Guiding Principles of the Company. Condescending to most employees, leaders to do not assume accountability for choices and pass the buck. Manage by pressure not by resolution or innovative thinking.

Uses charitable events to drive sales. Runs 6 week fundraisers for various organizations yet Soma only offers 10% of total sales from one weekend. Coaches team to use fundraisers to drive sales and have clients donate.

Advice to Management

Retire the autocratic leadership business model, which led several companies to failure. Hire visionary leaders who are self confident and can see the whole picture, invest in Employee Conscience Capitalism - a company is only as strong as it's lowest employee. Better pay, increased work life balance, cutting expenses in marketing duplicity, red tape administration/operations. Invest in profit drivers employees, clients and product.