Sony Online Entertainment - Management is an antiquated old-boys club out of touch with current game development | Glassdoor

"Management is an antiquated old-boys club out of touch with current game development"

in Austin, TX

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment

Pros

The pay was great, licenses were fun and line-level employees were senior and skilled

Cons

Executive management is the same crusty old team that has been there since Sony bought the company. They are out of touch with current development techniques and business models. They purposefully mislead their teams about ship dates and demand crunch for, literally, years at a time to ship product. It is not a financially healthy part of Sony and suffers from the fear and reactionary behavior that come from that... fact.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of embracing console development and current MMO business models (Free-to-play). Be honest with your teams about crunch and ship dates. Update executive management with someone who has some exposure to modern game development.

Sony Online Entertainment2011-10-18
  1. "3d Artist"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my 8 and a half years of employment with Sony Online Entertainment. I worked on a highly profitable game with the company and saw the company grow to over 700 people and multiple studios throughout the world. I worked with many talented people who became good friends of mine while I was there. Great pay, bonuses and royalties during my time there. Best job that I ever had.

Cons

The company is no longer around as it was when I worked there.

Sony Online Entertainment2016-08-30

"SOE was fun, but lacked creative vision for new games"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

Energetic creative people with a hunger for the next big game. Smart engineers making the most of what they had to work with. Talented design team that brings to life amazing design and concepts from little direction. Inclusive culture to make everyone feel welcome. Many people that started in lower positions were promoted over time to high levels of responsibility. Willingness to let people stretch to new levels... . In general, allowed for some mistakes without punitive action (until losing so much money forced the company to have multiple layoffs). Marketing works hard and got better at working with engineering to share ideas and not be combative.

Cons

Very top-down management with varying degrees of willingness to listen to ideas/comments/criticism from lower ranks. Games that were worked on simply not that creative, nor able to scale to popular levels required to sustain the company. Micromanaging from the top often interferes with product direction that could have been positive. Engineering managers frequently good engineers with very poor leadership,... management, and people skills. Relies on a stable of long timers to keep the legacy tech, without the budget or willingness to innovate to needed modern architecture/design. Revenues of the company limit how generous bonuses could be. Company was on a downward spiral while trying to support too many older games with loyal but small player population. Frequent conflicts between game engineering and platform engineering. With Game Engineering frequently getting the preferential treatment. Marketing tries to push the limits of what it can do to promote the games on small budgets and unrealistic forecasts of what the game should make.

Advice to Management

Trust the ranks more. Don't keep milking old, tired games with limited number of players Identify leaders that want to mentor their employees. Allow them the time to be good at employee development at the expense of them not doing as much of the hands on work, but trust their team.

Sony Online Entertainment2018-03-25

Discover more reviews about Sony Online Entertainment.