Sony Online Entertainment - Working hard to ship award winning games and satisfy our dedicated fans | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

"Working hard to ship award winning games and satisfy our dedicated fans"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, great co-workers, great games, and great fans.

Cons

Some times crunch is excessive.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the work life balance and long term goals.

Other Employee Reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

"Avoid, Avoid, Avoid"

Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Typically the hours don't crunch very much and the day-to-day work/life balance is even.

Cons

This company is riddled with people who have simply given up, or newbs being trained by beaten down has-been's. It's like a retirement home for developers who once cared about making great games. It is truly uninspiring to work in this atmosphere and it most definitely shows in the games that SOE produces (Even though upper management and Smed say that they're so amazing..yea (cough) sure). You will probably move up in the company if you "play ball" (aka: kiss ass, keep your mouth shut, and don't rock the boat), and in doing so you're basically selling out to a corporate/political force that is very much present. The management is the most incompetent I've ever seen, they allow employees to get away with unacceptably low standards of quality and effort and never take action on anyone or anything even though it's obvious that they should. Most people who work here have families so they are simply not willing to open their mouths, send that email, or ask that question that NEEDS TO BE ASKED/DONE. Everyone has given up and it is NOT the place to be if you are interested in making great games. I didn't feel lucky to work at SOE in any sense and quite frankly felt as though I took many steps backwards in my career.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

"A flaming hole of suck"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free bottled water... that's about it.

Cons

Nepotism and gross incompetence at the executive and director levels. I worked on multiple projects ordered by the exec team that resulted in negative revenue or 0% conversion. I was also instructed to work on multiple projects that were cancelled suddenly without explanation. Essentially... there is no coherent strategy or direction. Ever.

General inattention to quality by a lot of C-grade employees who make up a disturbing proportion of the workforce. Software bugs in everything - both the games and the websites. If you work here, be prepared to do your own QA on any project.

Processes are a horrible mutation of Agile which don't resemble any industry standard that I'm aware of.

P.S. Working on smoggy Miramar Road will cut your life expectancy by 2 years.

Advice to Management

Clean up your infrastructure and fire ineffective people.