Sony Online Entertainment - Great People, Great Games | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

"Great People, Great Games"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are creative and excellent to work with. I loved my time there and would work there again if I were not in the wrong city. I felt that I was able to move up the ladder at SOE. Passion and drive are not frowned upon (at least not by the people I worked with). The upcoming games look excellent and I think only the sky is the limit for the company.

Cons

Sometimes the overall strategy can take a 2nd place to last minute ideas and changes that should be given more time to percolate. They have made some awful mistakes int he past, but I honestly believe they have learned from them and are on a better footing for the future than they were in the past.

Other Employee Reviews for Sony Online Entertainment

1. "worked on the web design team"

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

really great benefits, medical etc. that also included things such as free life drawing classes for artists. Really fun projects and titles to work with. Got to work with other talented artists and devs. The web design management team at the time was supportive and not political at all. I'm not sure that I can say that about other departments.

Cons

the design team needed more power to run their department and sometimes marketing would be allowed to run design projects badly. On my way out though it looked like this was less and less the case.

They were a little slow to embrace changing web technology and we would still get hampered by having to do things like make sure all projects worked in IE6 and this was in 2008.

They definitely need to trim their losing titles and get some better products out.

Definitely bureaucratic at times.

Advice to Management

don't let bad management stay too long. All in all though great people, great work, great resources and a talented team. I did see some promising titles just sink after a lot of hard work.

2. "Overall, a great experience."

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The bottom line for upper management is to make good games, retain people over the long haul and provide them with a good way to make a living. They try to make it a fun place to work, and encourage life balance. Yes, making money is important to them, but money is a means to an end. They are loyal to employees as much as practicality will allow. They don't lay people off unless they have to.

Cons

The company has been struggling over the last few years. The games are often too confusing and complex for the general public. The last couple of games were very expensive and did not do as well as expected. They haven't found a way to make a good profit under the new free-to-play business model. Company morale is currently low.