Sony Online Entertainment - Surprisingly archaic Software Development | Glassdoor

"Surprisingly archaic Software Development"

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment

Pros

- Work environment is pretty laid back, though lots of the perks are gone - It's in San Diego, which has nice weather. Management would have you believe it is because of them

Cons

- Old boys club. SOE is full of management that has not matured with the online game industry. Products are uninspired, tinkered with by the CEO endlessly based on the games his kids decide to play that day, and late to market, not because they are spending time getting things right. They waste time making basic software development mistakes that you can read about in books from 30 years ago. - Nepotism all... around. Growth and success in the company is more dependent on relationship with the right folks than performance. Learn to say "Yes we can!"

Advice to Management

Get some fresh talent in at the top that has success in the "Online" marketplace in the last decade. The industry has matured and bringing back EQ folks may not be the best way to get with the times.

Sony Online Entertainment2011-05-12
  1. "3d Artist"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my 8 and a half years of employment with Sony Online Entertainment. I worked on a highly profitable game with the company and saw the company grow to over 700 people and multiple studios throughout the world. I worked with many talented people who became good friends of mine while I was there. Great pay, bonuses and royalties during my time there. Best job that I ever had.

Cons

The company is no longer around as it was when I worked there.

Sony Online Entertainment2016-08-30

"SOE was fun, but lacked creative vision for new games"

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

Energetic creative people with a hunger for the next big game. Smart engineers making the most of what they had to work with. Talented design team that brings to life amazing design and concepts from little direction. Inclusive culture to make everyone feel welcome. Many people that started in lower positions were promoted over time to high levels of responsibility. Willingness to let people stretch to new levels... . In general, allowed for some mistakes without punitive action (until losing so much money forced the company to have multiple layoffs). Marketing works hard and got better at working with engineering to share ideas and not be combative.

Cons

Very top-down management with varying degrees of willingness to listen to ideas/comments/criticism from lower ranks. Games that were worked on simply not that creative, nor able to scale to popular levels required to sustain the company. Micromanaging from the top often interferes with product direction that could have been positive. Engineering managers frequently good engineers with very poor leadership,... management, and people skills. Relies on a stable of long timers to keep the legacy tech, without the budget or willingness to innovate to needed modern architecture/design. Revenues of the company limit how generous bonuses could be. Company was on a downward spiral while trying to support too many older games with loyal but small player population. Frequent conflicts between game engineering and platform engineering. With Game Engineering frequently getting the preferential treatment. Marketing tries to push the limits of what it can do to promote the games on small budgets and unrealistic forecasts of what the game should make.

Advice to Management

Trust the ranks more. Don't keep milking old, tired games with limited number of players Identify leaders that want to mentor their employees. Allow them the time to be good at employee development at the expense of them not doing as much of the hands on work, but trust their team.

Sony Online Entertainment2018-03-25

Discover more reviews about Sony Online Entertainment.