Sony PlayStation - So much red tape I'm drowning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sony PlayStation

"So much red tape I'm drowning"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. Slowly building up collaboration and trying to build up proper infrastructure.

Cons

Corporate IT Policies block production progress at every turn. There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments. No one knows what anyone is working on, and not just in secret projects but in building up infrastructure. We need to be working on coming together and bridging the gap between IT and other departments. They either need to give up our own environment to properly manage or to learn to work closely together. They believe obscurity is security. All this does is put a black cloud of paranoia over all departments and causes major administrative overhead and time wasting.

Advice to Management

Please work toward getting specialized departments like R&D their own infrastructure so that we can properly manage our highly specialized user setups ourselves. We have a very talented and diverse team and need to at some point need to learn to trust our employees.

I hope someday that we can have a fine line between corporate IT and Production work system administration.

Ultimately there are too many large egos in IT and far too much Red Tape. Some of this may be due to cultural differences between the Americas and Japan, however certainly not to the extent that we experience and fight for everyday. We must work as a team or we will fall apart. Duplication of efforts, lack of knowledge and communication impacts planning in certain departments, and ultimately we end up with a less secure environment as we are not working together and utilizing all our talents.

Point being, "Learn to trust your department admins and give them the control they need to build up proper and secure infrastructure."...You might even learn something.

Other Employee Reviews for Sony PlayStation

1. "Great Brand and the company is changing for the better..."

Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PlayStation looks like it has it's Mojo back...

Cons

Offices are currently old and cramped but we move to new offices in 2013! Good news!

"Behind the times. Destined to fail."

Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of long time employees with strong working relationships

Cons

Lack of innovative products and leaders.