Sorenson Communications - Operations | Glassdoor

"Operations"

Current Employee - Communications Operator in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Communications Operator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sorenson Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing interpreters
- Management takes your employee feedback very seriously
- Reduce work pressure during busy weeks
- Great for recent grads who r looking for 3-5 yrs of experience

Cons

- Not much in growth area
- Flexibility to work outside your normal hours

Advice to Management

- Please use latest technology in Operations - scheduling area

Other Employee Reviews for Sorenson Communications

"Good learning experience and benefits, poor opportunities and management."

Former Employee - Tech Support Trainer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Support Trainer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sorenson Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent training. Good benefits. Very good pay for what you do.

Cons

Management focuses on statistics, not quality of calls. No real promotional opportunities. Employees can be extremely lazy. Management terminates first, does not even ask questions later.

Advice to Management

Take feedback from employees seriously. Don't assign projects that management will not incorporate. Don't assume your employees are trying to cheat the system.

"Mind numbingly boring work and good luck advancing."

Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Sorenson Communications part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule and decent pay.

Cons

Where to start? At least in IP Relay it was not worth the stress... between scammers who were abusing the system to bigots who honestly believed the only people who would use the system are scammers or worse didn't comprehend the fact that deaf people exist (to answer your question on why a deaf person is calling your business, it is most likely the same reason a hearing person would, believe it or not, they aren't that different from us). I can't really hold that against the company though. What I can hold against the company is that it was almost impossible to get full time, and when you did, it was often really only 32 hours a week rather than true full time at 40. Also, promote from within was a complete and utter joke. After I had been working there for 2 years I applied for a trainer position, they ended up hiring someone from outside the company because my schedule wasn't flexible enough (which in fairness, was probably a valid concern). After working there three years and finishing my degree, they had an opening in the field my degree is in, they posted that they were looking for an entry level person, no experience needed... I of course applied... they decided that they were going to hire external to get someone with 5 years experience (for a job that ostensibly did not require experience) who had applied rather than honoring their promote from within policy.

Advice to Management

I don't and can't begrudge a company for hiring a more flexible or more experienced candidate, but don't pretend to have a policy of we will promote anyone who meets minimum qualifications from within prior to hiring outside of the company policy if you aren't going to follow it.