Sound Transit - Bad management in IT and Finance. HR assistance with employees problems is nonexistent. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sound Transit

"Bad management in IT and Finance. HR assistance with employees problems is nonexistent."

Former Employee - IT Analyst
Former Employee - IT Analyst

Pros

It's nice to be part of an agency that is working towards improving traffic issues in the region. There were a lot of good people that tried to make it an enjoyable place to work. The agency kept employees up to date on the projects Sound Transit was involved in.

Cons

Management in IT and Finance was very lacking in leadership skills. When problems developed they blamed staff for their lack of management abilities. Even when they were blatant lies. Some employees had serious behavioral issues which management and HR ignored and refused to be involved with. It was a very dysfuntional place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are qualified to do the job.

Other Employee Reviews for Sound Transit

"I love it here!"

Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As the Receptionist, I get to see and, in a small way, work with people from every department here at Sound Transit. Everyone is busy! Still everyone takes time to be courteous and kind, with the Reception Desk as well as any of the general public passing by. The company is on the rise, so there are years of opportunity and work ahead of us. Overall there is a culture of love and respect, both for the work and for the people, and a spirit and sense of drive, as we are the future.

Cons

The only "Con" is all the hate we get from everyone. But seriously we are a public agency, so not only is the scrutiny expected, it is totally necessary. It makes us stronger and hopefully better, as some of it is not hate but well-intentioned constructive criticism. Anyway I am all about customer service, so I take all of the opinions given to the Desk and try to make people happy, anyway.
     So I really don't see any cons to this job, at least from the perspective of Receptionist.

Advice to Management

Like I said: As Receptionist I get to meet and greet all of the managers in our company, and they are all so awesome! Keep checking in on your people, making sure that they are happy. In a place as big as Sound Transit, it might be especially hard for managers to check in on a meaningful basis. Though, and again, my experience has been quite the opposite: My managers check in on me just often enough to keep the ball rolling but no so much that I feel micro-managed in the least bit. Just: In all your busy-ness don't forget to just *be* among your people.

2. "Culture is challenging"

I worked at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Best benefits I've ever seen, whatever you ask for you get with what seems to be their unlimited budget, no one really works an 8 hour day.

Cons

There is an expectation that everyone must think and be the same (HR). Cannot share ideas openly. Majority of people I spoke to work in fear. Long term employees from "the dark days" run the place like they are royalty.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage, place trust in employees to do their jobs, allow people to openly express their ideas without reprimanding.