Sounds True - Best Company I have ever worked for.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sounds True

"Best Company I have ever worked for...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture; amazing owner who treats employees how she would like to be treated (literally); people really care about each other. The Company sells products to help people live a more fulfilling life. What could be better! In many ways, I feel that I work for a philanthropic organization, because there is a sense that we are really fundamentally helping people.

Cons

People do not work as hard as they should. Too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Create a work hard, play hard culture

Other Employee Reviews for Sounds True

1. "Good if not "great" intentions!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, period. There is absolutely zero micro-managing going on, they trust people to do their job (a con too). Very laid-back while producing informative and creative material. You are the ship builder, the captain and the crew,,, meaning if you have a great idea or creative process they will entertain or adopt a new idea. Which provides opportunity to champion your own projects. The work-life balance might involve more life than work. Pet friendly office. Good material and content being delivered to customers.

Cons

Been in business for 25 years with the same nonchalant hippie mentality 'the money will come'. The reality of the publishing world is starting to hurt a multimedia publishing company like Sounds True. A lot of business practices and processes are out of date (by 10+years). The lack of urgency and lack of concern with the financials are troubling. Too much weight is put on Authors needs and not how to drive business and actually make a product successful. Their are way "too many cooks in the kitchen." The whole company is completely SILOED. The over amount of trust management has in employees, which results in people taking advantage of a casual workplace. Zero future strategies developed to increase revenue, strategies consist of a mere knee-jerk reaction. 2+ more senior executives are completely unqualified for their positions. Nepotism lives with us. There are a lot of people set in there ways here, they have worked for us for 12+years,,, they need to progress and update their skills.

Advice to Management

Be a little more strict. Develop a plan to re-purpose content, study the market and attract more customers by appealing to a wider & broader audience. Accept publishing is getting killed and move forward with technology. Retrain employees and have managers work in THEIR department,, not having sales managers or web managers weigh-in on every decision being made.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Sounds True full-time

Pros

Great company, good benefits, awesome people

Cons

unstructured, high turnover, lots of drama and ego's