South Carolina Department of Health - This agency needs help from the lowest level jobs looking upward! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for South Carolina Department of Health

"This agency needs help from the lowest level jobs looking upward!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC

Pros

For me, it's close to where I live . It is a state agency, which is historically a good place to work because of the benefits that used to be assured. But, because of budgetary problems, those benefits or the promises that used to be here are not here and are eroding every year.

Cons

Extreme amount of favoritism in hiring and promotions, in my view. Nothing is done when people don't do their jobs. Jobs are being "dumbed" down. It's really very sad. From my perspecitve, management has been here a long time, they turn their head to blatant incompetencies. They promote people that don't and won't make waves. It's pretty funny to see how things work around here. We have people that are "Directors" but have no staff??? We have people who don't have anything to do because in the past - they either wouldn't do their job, did the job poorly or half way, or did it so slow that management gave their job to someone else - but, they don't want to fire anyone because that does take a lot of work to get through the red tape!!!

Advice to Management

Get a back bone! We do have a lot of very capable employees that can and will do the job when the favs don't, won't or can't. Also, when you are able to retire age wise - leave - too many just sit and sleep. We actually have several staff who only walk up and down the halls to get coffee - all day long - I'm serious!! No one knows what they do, no one ever sees them do anything, go anywhere or have any meetings - even people in their own divisions!!

Other Employee Reviews for South Carolina Department of Health

1. "Absolutely amazing!"

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time

Pros

State job, benefits, and scheduling.
    Great work environment with great people who actually appreciate hard work and dedication.

Cons

DHEC pay is on the lower side but considering what you get benefit and time wise, it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Environmental Health Manager"

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers

Cons

Salary will never match private industry.