South Carolina Federal Credit Union - Neutral - some experiences were very positive while others were not. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for South Carolina Federal Credit Union

"Neutral - some experiences were very positive while others were not."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

Pros

Incredible benefits. Flexible time off - several days given each year, can be used as vacation, sick time, etc. Unheard of 10% match on 401-K. Outstanding in-house training opportunities. Nice, new facilities. Very well known in the area and growing rapidly - a prestigious place to work.

There are a good many women in management positions there, which is true of many credit unions. Women who hit the "glass ceiling" at banks often leave to work for credit unions.

Pay is pretty good, but not as good as banks, but banks can usually afford to pay more because they are for-profit while credit unions are nonprofit.

Generally, the people who work there are very friendly and there is a positive team spirit and a firm commitment to providing the best level of member (customer) service.

Cons

Some managers are excellent while others are not. With the poor managers, people are often hired or promoted based on personal reasons (i.e. social connections outside of work, etc.) rather than their job skills or interpersonal skills, and there is considerable favoritism which takes a huge toll on employee morale.

Also, the credit union is often named "employer of choice" for providing good "work/life balance" through reduced full-time shifts, leaves of absence, etc. -- but, in reality few employees get to take advantage of these programs, because they are solely at the discretion of the manager, and most managers simply refuse.

Other Employee Reviews for South Carolina Federal Credit Union

1. "Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Relationship Specialist
    Current Employee - Relationship Specialist

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at SCFCU for almost three months now. My first three months have been more than wonderful. Just a quick list of my top pros:
    1. Everyone is striving to succeed together. There truly is a feeling of teamwork and cooperation that makes work feel more like a family venture.

2. Benefits are very good. Plenty of paid time off each year and medical and 401(k) are great. Medical can be a bit pricy if you are seeking to cover an entire family, though, but nothing more than many similar companies.

3. Most of the staff have started at the bottom and worked up, which means that most everyone is on the same page.

4. Very good work life balance.

5. Very friendly management

Cons

No obvious cons that I have noticed. If you do your work and remember that you are working to serve the members, you will be successful here.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing. Management is great about listening to everyone employed and implementing their recommendations. Don't forget these values as the company continues to grow--they are what make SCFCU what it is!

South Carolina Federal Credit Union Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Thanks for the kind review. We’re so happy you’ve had a great start to your career with South Carolina Federal, and we look forward to growing with you!

2. "Truly the Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive Management, Extraordinary Compensation and Benefits, Career Development and Opportunities, Positive and Collaborative Work Environment

Cons

Some day I would like to retire, but I cannot imagine not working here anymore and not seeing my work family each week. They've made it too good to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! You are the best!