Southern California Edison - Excellent company with great pay, benefits, and good management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Southern California Edison

"Excellent company with great pay, benefits, and good management."

Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA
Former Employee - Technical Specialist IV in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

While I would not call it a family oriented organization, the management I worked with was always respectful and treated their employees well. The pay was excellent for the work required, as were the benefits. The work can be very rewarding, and I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My supervision only accepted work done right and was always striving to excel in the industry. Always willing to listen and take action where warranted, management conveyed a sense of trust, at least in the engineering department where I spent my most recent time.

Cons

As a large company, the family feel that used to be the rule in SCE is no longer there. EIX (the parent company of SCE) is a business first. Since the electrical power production industry no longer guarantees that the utility will make a profit, that is probably necessary. However, if the worker isn't fortunate enough to get a good supervisor (not all are stellar) then SCE can become very impersonal. Sometimes there can be a riff between management and represented personnel, but overall I found the company willing to work with its employees.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to your supervisors and management to ensure they are representing the company with the values that are presented to every employee. The fact that a supervisor has worked for the company for many years doesn't necessarily make them a good supervisor or manager. Promote those that deserve it and show the leadership skills desired in a good supervisor or manager.

Other Employee Reviews for Southern California Edison

"Dumb and Dumber"

Current Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

Most of mid-level management is homegrown with little or no formal training or education making them ill equipped to move the company forward and manage individuals effectively.
    The company is stuck in the way they have always done business and is not open to new ideas or business models.
    Managers are so ill equipped that they are unable to identify skills of employees and leverage them for progress. They are unable to provide meaningful mentorship and feedback for growth.
    If you are just starting your career this is not your company, they will stifle you growth and creativity and you will lose your enthusiasm and drive when it is stiffed by the ignorance of those that manage you.

Advice to Management

Don't fear innovation or the future!

"GBelRRed"

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is great within most departments; employees helpful and friendly towards one another. Overtime pays decent for contractors. Benefits for FT are great. Very inclusive environment.

Cons

IT holds every project hostage; nothing ever drops on time and when it does, significant workarounds are usually necessary.

Many departments have management who are in their positions because of seniority. Doesn't mean they know anything about what goes on in their department or how to run things. Unfortunately these people will be your "SMEs".

Management sets tight timelines. IT often delays the project or implements key components days before go live, which makes it a nightmare for IDs to document. Long nights and working weekends and on holidays right before deployments is common.

IT parses out information selectively and defensively. If you discover a glitch, be prepared to fight to make it known to get it addressed.

Advice to Management

Rein in IT and then get them more help so they have the manpower to accomplish the aggressive implementation schedules senior management insists upon.