Southern Company - Wonderful company to work for with great workplace environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Company

"Wonderful company to work for with great workplace environment."

Current Intern - Software Engineer Coop in Birmingham, AL
Current Intern - Software Engineer Coop in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

People. This is very much a "Southern Company". The people here are genuinely interested in your well-being, and treat everyone as part of a big family. I haven't met a single employee who hasn't been very happy working here. Compensation is good as far as internships go (I'm technically a coop student), and I was given the LEAD on some huge projects once they knew I could handle it. They really do respect you, and will use you to the fullest extent they believe they can. Wonderful company to be a coop trying to get some real work experience/credentials.

Cons

The only downsides to me are the fact that if you don't really fit in with the stereotypical "Southern" demographic (conservative Republican, Christian, etc.), you will be very much in the minority. As I mentioned above, they are all very respectful, but you just have to be okay with being surrounded by people who may strongly disagree with your views (many people don't do well in that situation). Also, unless you're actively aspiring to be in the power business, it will be more of a stepping stone or a place to coast until you get where you want to be, but it can be a perfect jump off point all the same.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Southern Company

1. "Soco Exp"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Excelent work environment, many areas to grow

Cons

Compesation is well below national average, promotions are not always merit based

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Plant Engineer - Coop in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Plant Engineer - Coop in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Gives good real world experience that I might not get as a coop at other companies

Cons

They do things the same way even if it's not the best way