Southern Refrigerated Transport - We need to focus harder on safety, and, security. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Refrigerated Transport

"We need to focus harder on safety, and, security."

Current Employee - Driver/Trainer in Texarkana, TX
Current Employee - Driver/Trainer in Texarkana, TX

Pros

I like working produce and meat loads.

Cons

training department has been suspended. Some policies regarding teaching new hires: mgmt will treat new hires training environment poorly. Sample: trainer will stop driving truck due to a flat tire, steel cords are showing to be exposed, try to teach new hire safe practices. however, i recvd way too much communication from people whom are not on the ground seeing the problem and they will state flat out drive on the tire. Teaching new hires good judgement becomes difficult without mgmt listening to their trainers. Safety Bonuses: drivers must meet set criteria for achieveing bonus. Sample: driver must drive 33,000 miles in one quater, the truck must average over 6.0 miles per gallon and no accident occurred. However, if mgmt can not get the driver the mileage then no bonus is paid. Downside is: driver can be laid over for 7 days where the driver was available to get a load, but Company will not pay bonus because driver was short the minium mileage criteria.

Advice to Management

I believe, when discreation is available to mgmt for payout of bonuses and the employee has held up their side, where its mgmt whoms at fault by not having the freight, then mgmt should payout the bonus. Also, trainers and their judgement when teaching new hires should be emphasized versus clouded the judgement of newly hired employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Southern Refrigerated Transport

1. "Average Experience"

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Bankers hours, Paid Holidays, Benefits

Cons

Very boring office, lack of personality, its like being with robots daily.

Advice to Management

Lighten up a little.

2. "Watch What You Say"

Former Employee - Company Driver
    Former Employee - Company Driver

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had good miles most of the time. But there were plenty of people sitting in Texarkana, waiting for trucks to be fixed, and once fixed waiting for job. My trainer was great! He warned me about my dispatcher right away and that helped.

Cons

They will pull you in with certain offers. Say that if your home time is approved and you don't get there, you will be given $100 per day. BS. I was a week and a half late, missed doctor appointment, didn't see a dollar. Too concerned to complain because you will suddenly find dispatch doesn't have anything for you. I was also called to go and pick up a load when I finally got time off, and then deliver it the next day. STR says they will pay you and extra $100 because you were called on your time off. Never saw a cent. Recruiters say one thing, but when you get to orientation it is a different story (though I understand that isn't common in the trucking industry).

Once you are out of the company, no one returns calls or wants to talk to you. Makes it hard to get any information.

Advice to Management

Make company fines automatic. If someone isn't home when promised, the $100 a day should automatically be there. Leave it up to the dispatchers, they will twist and turn to not have to pay anything.