Southern Wine & Spirits of America - Fast, challenging, rewarding career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Southern Wine & Spirits of America

"Fast, challenging, rewarding career"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great book to sell
Six figure incomes

Cons

Pressure and stressful
Lots of fire drills

Advice to Management

Management pushes the envelope onto employees because of the pressure from suppliers

Other Employee Reviews for Southern Wine & Spirits of America

"Appears like a company with great family values, but treats you like a red-headed step child"

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule. can make it a fun work atmosphere being out selling liquor. they send me a paycheck each week.

Cons

often unachievable goals. frequently having to push products that absolutely will not sell in certain geographic areas. goals are not always given on time. required to falsely report execution to make upper management look good. incentive payouts are sometimes delayed or you have to remind mgmt. that they were not paid yet. Raises are rare.

Advice to Management

get your act together and work as a team. work with the sales reps instead of against them. get goals out on time. fulfill promises that are made.

"Sounds better than it actually is"

Former Employee - Chain Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Chain Territory Manager

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun meeting, usually with food. Big party once a year with LOTS of food.
    You are off at 230pm usually.

Cons

You start at 6am or earlier.
    Constantly followed and monitored by bosses.
    They sneak around and follow you. Then when your GPS tracking doesn't show what they think it should they call you in for a "meeting" and make you explain what was happening. Example, I had my bag with the GPS tracker at the back of a store. They were cleaning and asked me to move my bag. So, I brought it to the front of the store and left it there while I worked with the account. My boss called me and said that by moving my GPS it looked like I left the store and was in the parking lot. The GPS is not that accurate.
    Oh and it does not pay very much and the "car allowance" is a joke.
    Mostly, your actual job is to get permission from the store to set up "dummy" displays and take pictures of them to send to management. Basically just a bunch of empty boxes from other stores stacked up to look like there is a ton of alcohol in the store. This is VERY encouraged by management.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. It is bad for morale to see you spying on us and it makes us feel like you are just waiting for us to make a mistake. It is very nerve wracking.