Southwest Airlines - Ramp Agent | Glassdoor

"Ramp Agent"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Newark, NJ
Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Newark, NJ

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to travel in your training and meet people from other places... The best tasting "Kool-Aid" in the airline industry if u know what I mean. Working outdoors without someone always up your ass. You can swap shifts or hustle more shifts..The ramp agents are unionized and the airport union is A STRONG ONE!

Cons

Working like a mule for garbage pay while they hold that carrot (top pay AFTER TEN years) in front of your nose and make you work BACK BREAKING Laborious grunt work in the bellies of the planes in stifling heat and frigid cold. This is a young man's job. NOT a job to do if you are middle aged and NOT in perfect physical health. This was my first exposure to the airline industry and ...WOW...talk about being surrounded by back biters and gossip mongers....Everyone is hoping their counterpart will quit or get fired - I KID U NOT- in hopes of their "seniority" being bumped up. Also, the pain in the hump of having to bid for your new schedule on a month to month basis. Your co-workers are not really your "friends"...MAKE NO MISTAKE bout that!! The starting pay is ridiculously low to live on.....10.28 an hr. step increases until you make that much ballyhooed 25.00 hr but its ten long years in the salt mines for that.

Advice to Management

Live up to your companys much ballyhooed "We LOVE our employees".....STOP seeking to fire indiscriminately and thats why the union has such a positive strong record of gettin unfairly terminated employees their jobs back because you guys always trump up bogus charges.

Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines

"By far the best internship I've ever had"

Former Intern - Community Affairs and Grassroots Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Community Affairs and Grassroots Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The working atmosphere here is unlike any other. It really is like a family with plenty of time for fun and productive work!

Cons

Pay can be not that great sometimes--something has to make up for all of the other perks that you get.

Advice to Management

Keep costs low, but don't sacrifice the culture of this place!

"Very pleasant experience."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good compensation.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

- Management need to improve their software development process.