Southwest Airlines - IT Help-desk | Glassdoor

"IT Help-desk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You met new people on almost every call. The team I was on dealt with employee’s only, so it was an in most cases a nice call. The company as a whole is a GREAT company to work for. But the helpdesk itself is not.

Cons

CONS, poor leadership on the Help-desk; If you’re not in there circle you won’t go far, you have to brown nose to the leadership.They have their favorites, even if their favorites don't know the JOB!!! Managers and Supervisors need to learn how to listen and communicate with the team.

Advice to Management

Learn how to listen and communicate with the team. STOP picking favorites!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines

"Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Casual, friendly environment, fun people, and goot times

Cons

Less than cohesive process or technical environment. Yet much, much, better than most companies.

Advice to Management

Efficiency and reliability are king. But you already knew that...

"Ramp Agent"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Newark, NJ

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to travel in your training and meet people from other places... The best tasting "Kool-Aid" in the airline industry if u know what I mean. Working outdoors without someone always up your ass. You can swap shifts or hustle more shifts..The ramp agents are unionized and the airport union is A STRONG ONE!

Cons

Working like a mule for garbage pay while they hold that carrot (top pay AFTER TEN years) in front of your nose and make you work BACK BREAKING Laborious grunt work in the bellies of the planes in stifling heat and frigid cold. This is a young man's job. NOT a job to do if you are middle aged and NOT in perfect physical health. This was my first exposure to the airline industry and ...WOW...talk about being surrounded by back biters and gossip mongers....Everyone is hoping their counterpart will quit or get fired - I KID U NOT- in hopes of their "seniority" being bumped up. Also, the pain in the hump of having to bid for your new schedule on a month to month basis. Your co-workers are not really your "friends"...MAKE NO MISTAKE bout that!! The starting pay is ridiculously low to live on.....10.28 an hr. step increases until you make that much ballyhooed 25.00 hr but its ten long years in the salt mines for that.

Advice to Management

Live up to your companys much ballyhooed "We LOVE our employees".....STOP seeking to fire indiscriminately and thats why the union has such a positive strong record of gettin unfairly terminated employees their jobs back because you guys always trump up bogus charges.