Southwest Airlines - Southwest values the 'employee experience' just as much as the 'customer experience' | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

"Southwest values the 'employee experience' just as much as the 'customer experience'"

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management actually takes the time and effort to make its employee's feel like part of a big family from day one.

Cons

Sometimes I feel guilty for how much fun I have and how much food and drink I consume at official and unofficial Southwest parties.

Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines

"A great place to learn and move up."

Former Employee - Manager of Customer Service in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Manager of Customer Service in Providence, RI

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is an excellent opportunity to move up with in the company if you are willing to move.The benefits are excellent. Southwest also provides several different training options to further your career. Their leadership development is outstanding.

Cons

They pay is unacceptably low. Additionally there is very little additional compensation if you are a major producer.

Advice to Management

N/A

"The luv is gone."

Current Employee - Design Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Design Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I cherish the wonderful friends I've made in the past. The true Southwest Airlines coworkers are the best.

Cons

Recently, with the AirTran merger SWA employees are being forced to follow AirTran's culture, which is based on manipulation, intimidation, and fear. AirTran employees are assigned by their boss to spy on Southwest workers as to when they arrive, leave the office, and even length of time for bathroom breaks. Scare tactics are used by the boss to make Southwest employees feel their jobs are on the line everyday. Working overtime with no compensation is not only unappreciated, but questioned by management as if the employee is to blame. In other words, management will try to fire you no matter how hard or smart you work. You can be a superstar or hero at the office, but still lose your job for taking too much EARNED vacation time. It makes no sense. As someone else has mentioned, Southwest Airlines has never had any layoffs. However, what's hidden is the many number of great workers who have been fired, forced to retire, or forced to quit.

Advice to Management

Shouldn't have merged with AirTran, but too late now anyways. But there is still time to remove them from managerial roles in which they are completely incompetent in.