Southwest Airlines - OK... Heading down. | Glassdoor

"OK... Heading down."

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The travel benefits are great. Not only do you and your family fly for free on SWA, you also get many other discounted travel options including free or very discounted flights on other airlines. The culture at SWA is the best among airlines, though this is starting to fade. Health benefits are great, and they offer a company match 401K, stock discounts, and profit sharing.

Cons

The odd hours were unbearable. Be prepared to work at any hour of the day, and any day of the year including weekends and holidays. The odd hours were not confined to bad weather situations either. There was always a customer service agent at work from the hours of 4am-1am each day, these were simply normal hours. Mandatory overtime is rampant, especially during busy times, which often means working 12 hour days instead of just 8, and often having to work on you days off. Aside from the hours, the whole nature of the job is often a negative experience. You are the person who directly needs to handle people who are upset about missed flights, or missing bags. Rarely is an encounter like this a pleasant one. Career advancement is limited in satellite cities.

Advice to Management

Please make a stronger effort to keep the culture alive. For agents the pay is too low for the hours and issues we deal with. Please staff properly instead of forcing overtime on the most junior employees constantly.

Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines

1. "I am proud to work for SWA"

Current Employee - Customer Support & Services in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support & Services in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work as little or as much as you like. We are able to trade days, pay away days, take off when available (available leave without pay- alwop.) Sometimes I am off so much people wonder if I am still employed. Also SWA gives us the freedom to fly. Employee, Mom, Dad, Spouse, and children fly FREE. Swag point that we earn that can be traded in for fabulous prizes, JUST FOR COMING TO WORK. Who does that??? SWA!!!

Cons

MOT When weather is an issue or when volume is high, be prepared to work Mandatory overtime. However if you like to work, you can make some good money when others want to payaway their shift. They pay you, and you get paid for working their shift.

Advice to Management

None. From the big wigs with great titles to the regular management team, 98 percent will treat you with dignity and respect. This is a company who values their workers and will praise you for you accomplishment.

"A&P Mechanic"

Current Employee - A&P Mechanic in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - A&P Mechanic in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, perks, time off

Cons

Dental plan isn't as good as the medical plan. Getting day shift is not easy.