Sovran Self Storage - Heaven or hell | Glassdoor

"Heaven or hell"

Current Employee - Associate Manager
Current Employee - Associate Manager

Pros

It's a day job great for parents. A set schedule and lunch. It can be fun if you manage your time properly. If you have a manager that you get along with it can be heaven. But good communication is essential here.

Cons

God help you if you and your manager don't get along. Associate managers have no support whatsoever as far as you're concerned the manager is sovran. My area manager told me on my first day of training if I can solve a problem do so myself don't call him unless it's absolutely necessary. On a day to day my manager uses profanity and acts inappropriate at work. My training was terrible and confusing they basically handed me a book and said do you know it yet?

Advice to Management

Why are the managers not being evaluated on treating their associates fairly? Why are trainers being paid and put up in hotels if they can't thoroughly explain what's going on? Why do store managers schedule new employees alone in a store on high traffic days? It's really problematic.

Other Employee Reviews for Sovran Self Storage

1. "Company is very organized"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very helpful upper management. Generally keeps you busy with ever-changing variety of day-to-day work. If you want to stay busy you can, but if you want to have a slow, lazy day every once in a while, you are definitely able to. Great mix of customers if you like working with them... some customers really appreciate you and everything you do.

Cons

Company is always expanding, so policies can change frequently. When I say "mix" of customers, I mean it. You get your fair share of crazies too and you HAVE to know how to handle yourself, from an emotional, and legal perspective. Starting wage is pretty good, but raises and yearly review processes are awful. Call center fields a lot of your phone calls, which can lead to a lot of confusion, and some misinformation. You can pick your days off each week, but the only available shift is 9a-6p.

Advice to Management

The call center aspect of the business doesn't work. As an acquisition company, each and every facility is different and the customer reps don't have many answers that customers are looking for. They need to focus more on info collecting and passing the customer off to the store so questions/concerns/and arrangements can be made at the store level.

"Associate Store Manager"

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is a good company to work for, Pay is okay, ability to move up in the company and Hours are okay

Cons

As an associate manager you don't count and you don't matter, area managers think that they are God, If you speak with HR they will contact the area manager to hear their side of the story and then go with that, and store manager get all the credit even though an associate may do all the work

Advice to Management

Hire better Area managers and listen to the employees that run the business everyday