Space Systems/Loral - Great experience, felt like everyone I met was smart and driven. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Space Systems/Loral

"Great experience, felt like everyone I met was smart and driven."

Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is challenging and rewarding work. You're apart of systems that are used by millions and millions of people in the world. You're surrounded by intelligent co-workers that seriously know their stuff.

Cons

The compensation isn't as competitive as other companies in the area. The facilities may seem a bit older than other nearby companies. The buildings are spread out and you need to take shuttles to get around.

Advice to Management

Consider looking into younger employees as the company is very senior heavy.

Other Employee Reviews for Space Systems/Loral

"Awful and out-of-touch management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get away with working much less hours here than at other places I have been at.

Cons

AWFUL and out-of-touch management, unnecessary layers of middle management, each only concerned with how to make themselves look good. Very poor morale (this is probably somewhat dependent on what department you are in). Different departments care only about themselves rather than working together and can be extremely rude and condescending to each other. I have seen people promoted to positions blatantly not on any merit. Technologically, they are behind the curve, you won't really work on anything "cutting edge" here. If you actually care about trying to make a difference, you will be in the minority here. Glad I moved on.

"Was great, until MDA purchased"

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love "the job". The individual contributors are great, lot of smart people, it's a very exciting product if you are into aerospace, and it is a can-do atmosphere (at least among the non-management). Three weeks vacation starting, four weeks after 6 years, which is really nice. You'll need all the time away you can.

Cons

Since MDA purchased SSL, they have been taking a dump on employees. Now the good employees are starting to leave, some without another job waiting for them. Very low morale among the individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Don't dump on the people that make the company what it is.