Space Systems/Loral - Awful and out-of-touch management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Space Systems/Loral

"Awful and out-of-touch management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get away with working much less hours here than at other places I have been at.

Cons

AWFUL and out-of-touch management, unnecessary layers of middle management, each only concerned with how to make themselves look good. Very poor morale (this is probably somewhat dependent on what department you are in). Different departments care only about themselves rather than working together and can be extremely rude and condescending to each other. I have seen people promoted to positions blatantly not on any merit. Technologically, they are behind the curve, you won't really work on anything "cutting edge" here. If you actually care about trying to make a difference, you will be in the minority here. Glad I moved on.

Other Employee Reviews for Space Systems/Loral

"Was great, until MDA purchased"

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love "the job". The individual contributors are great, lot of smart people, it's a very exciting product if you are into aerospace, and it is a can-do atmosphere (at least among the non-management). Three weeks vacation starting, four weeks after 6 years, which is really nice. You'll need all the time away you can.

Cons

Since MDA purchased SSL, they have been taking a dump on employees. Now the good employees are starting to leave, some without another job waiting for them. Very low morale among the individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Don't dump on the people that make the company what it is.

"Old company, hard to make changes, but laid back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance = good.
    Benefits = average

Cons

Old company, hard to make changes. Using old technology: (1)just upgraded to Windows 2010 at year 2013, (2) Just upgraded to new phone system at year 2010, threw away the phones from 50 years ago - all yellow and no screen display, etc.
    Not open to innovative ideas. Raises are very low (Top performer only gets 3%!!!) Don't care much about employees (doesn't provide basic things such as water, coffee, snacks). Took away sick/personal days last year, now we only get 10 days a year.

Advice to Management

Time to listen to employee opinions. Time to upgrade business model and marketing strategy so we can become more profitable. Time to provide water and coffee.