Space Telescope Science Institute - Nice atmosphere | Glassdoor

"Nice atmosphere"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD
Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, warm atmosphere, great location and amazing cafeteria. The working hours are flexible and employees are encouraged to work from home once a week.

Cons

Main con is the fact that things move slowly in the office. For security and bureaucracy reasons, the projects take longer than they should. Communication between teams to reach agreement brings even more overhead to the projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Space Telescope Science Institute

1. "Great place to work at."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting projects, interesting people and academic atmosphere. Many opportunities to learn through provided trainings or through available lectures. Ability to have very flexible schedule, allowing one to work from home.

Cons

It is a government organization, so promotions are slow, no money is allocated to team building exercises, some technology in use are quite old, mostly because that is what people used to.

2. "df"

Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst/Desktop Support in Baltimore, MD
    Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst/Desktop Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and positive energy they gave out was a great environment to work in. I was given enough autonomy to get my project of finding the most effective and efficient Document Management System for the Business Department. This was my project, and if I had any questions, I would just go to my boss, who by the way, was a great person and a great boss.

Cons

In regards to getting some direction for future projects, I was given very little. This position was to become permanent and my boss vouched for me to stay on board for he "... Needed a person with my exact skill set and demeanor," but my position ended up not being budgeted in for 2013-2014

Advice to Management

If they truly wanted to bring me in, then something like allocating budget monies towards a new FTE should not be very difficult.