KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting, Fun, Impactful, Dynamic Environment

May 12, 2017 - Material Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very dynamic work, strong sense of adding value and impact, low bureaucracy and opportunity to enact projects, great people to work with, on-site access to most of your daily needs - food, car cleaning, dentist, doctor. Good vacation and health care Day to day work is fast paced and dynamic as a material planner. We are still young as a supply chain planning organization so there are lots of opportunities to created processes and policies. Planners have a large portfolio of parts they are accountable. Planning can be best compared to work that an NPI Material Planner does at more mature planning organizations as we are an R&D/Innovation focused company. Expect lots of opportunities to work cross functionally with operations, engineering, purchasing, and inventory. Planners should want to make an impact day to day knowing that we are trying to make humanity a multi-planetary species. You will have an opportunity to put your fingerprint on that mission to change the world but that takes a lot of work. Successful planners will not only accept changes and shifts in priorities will happen often but learn to predict and anticipate where these shifts occur.

Cons

Plan to work long work weeks (but the hours go fast), base salary could be more competitive (equity is given and is often mentioned as making total comp comparable, but that is not as liquid as salary)

Continue reading
    5 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

Jun 22, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company

Cons

There is no cons for them

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Disappointing

Jun 1, 2022 - Infosec Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really really smart, motivated coworkers. My coworkers were the best part of working here. Great environment, everybody is extremely friendly and helpful regardless of what they do or what department they work in. You work very hard, but the long days are often worth it with the right team. The Hawthorne office is pretty nice and the benefits are great. You get to work with rocket engineers and see awesome stuff pretty much whenever you want. The culture is very open. I love the people at this company.

Cons

Top management is unhinged and detached from reality. They want to manage everything themselves without understanding what they're really doing. They do not realize that defending against Russia takes more than a "scrappy crew". A recipe not only for failure, but disaster. They completely ignored this feedback when it was given. I got the distinct feeling that if there was a major incident, the whole team would be blamed. Why would I stay? Work life balance is something you have to earn and even then it is never guaranteed. SpaceX doesn't pay for training or conferences. They'll send you to Defcon to get drunk if you want. That's it. SpaceX also does not allow people to speak publicly at any conferences, even if it's about something done completely off of work time and unrelated to work. These things combined made it feel like I was actively hurting my career by being here. These policies are put in place by top executives, not middle management.

8 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about SpaceX.

SpaceX Photos

+ Add Photo
SpaceX photo of: SpaceX employees celebrate the first-ever orbital class rocket landing
SpaceX photo of: From all the women at SpaceX who are helping to engineer the future of space exploration, happy International Women’s Day!
SpaceX photo of: CRS-11 Dragon captured by the ISS
SpaceX photo of: Falcon 9 touches down at Landing Zone 1
SpaceX photo of: SpaceX team cheers on another Dragon ready for launch!
SpaceX photo of: Falcon 9 launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base