SpaceX - Roller Coaster Weee!! | Glassdoor

"Roller Coaster Weee!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're looking for work with meaning then it probably doesn't get better than SpaceX. You're lucky to be working at one of the only companies really shaking up the industry. We don't just talk big, we make it happen. Lots of people are super driven here. If you're highly motivated and ambitious then you can accomplish a lot at SpaceX. No one is going to stop you, there's way too much work to do.

Cons

With so many highly passionate, driven people, tensions often run high. People will defend their points of view, you'll defend yours, and it's tough keeping your cool. Picking which battles to fight and which to let go. The overall mission does help us keep perspective, but on a personal level it is non-stop ups and downs. You watch people hold on until they get fed up and flung off. Also people work a lot here.... Not because they have to, but because they want to. Space is cool, being a part of it is cool. But it's easy to overwork yourself without knowing it. This plus the above can lead to quick burnout. Personally I'm continually riding the edge of what I can handle, but I'm driven to a fault, that's the kind of people here.

Advice to Management

Small perks go a long way. Team building is always important. Keep hiring the best people. Avoid micro-management. Make sure managers are experts of what they are managing. Be in tune with the current stress level of your people.

SpaceX2017-10-11
  1. "Great environment and hard working teams"

Current Employee - Avionics Technician

I have been working at SpaceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience in working for various departments

Cons

Hard moving up the ladder

SpaceX2019-09-12

"Demanding job, but well worth it."

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The future of this company is wide open. The possibilities are endless and to be a part of it is super exciting. I look back on the years I have been here and I only wish I got out of the Navy earlier to start here earlier. Working here is tough, but it should be. This shouldn't be an easy job and the challenges you are faced with should be difficult. You will be expected to come in everyday and give it your all... without going overboard. This is one aspect I really enjoy about working here. I am never bored and I enjoy accomplishing our goals and overcoming every challenge we are faced with. Work life balance has significantly increased. Launch days are the best day of the week.

Cons

Location. I understand why SpaceX was started here, but I would really love for us to pack up and move everything to a more open area where everything, including our testing facility is in one central location. There are some awesome open areas between LA and Vegas. Traffic is horrible. It makes it really tough to commute.

SpaceX2019-08-20

Discover more reviews about SpaceX.