SpaceX - Fast pace work with brilliant people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SpaceX

"Fast pace work with brilliant people"

Former Intern - Avionics, Hardware Development in Hawthorne, CA
Former Intern - Avionics, Hardware Development in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at SpaceX as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are young, which allows for a fast pace and constantly changing environment. You will never be bored.

Cons

As an intern, I found it hard to balance work and life. The job was very demanding.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Other Employee Reviews for SpaceX

"Exciting Place to Work and Apply Your Engineering Skills"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The level of autonomy for engineers is very high, almost overwhelming at times. Many decisions are made by the engineers, and the assignments are very challenging. Often, workers must take the initiative to discover, analyze, and address potential issues. Watching the launches is nothing short of entirely exhilarating. The company buys us all lunch each month and throws a great holiday party. The president, Gwynne Shotwell, is particularly concerned with making employees happy. Having worked at a big, established aerospace company, I can say that SpaceX is completely different. While they're taking two months to add a doubler at a stress concentration, we're troubleshooting far greater issues in less than two weeks.

Cons

Depending on where you work and whether you are "the long pole" driving the schedule, work hours can be very long. Some people burn out, and some people are able to pace themselves a bit better. I think the technicians are ridden particularly hard to churn out hardware. Management sometimes makes decisions that are baffling to us engineers, and sometimes they refuse to make decisions and opt to just blame the perceived guilty party when things don't work out (not always--it's gotten a lot better). There is a constant prevailing sense of urgency and risk (could be a good thing).

Advice to Management

Taking large risks is necessary, but sometimes being a bit conservative is prudent as well.

"Employees are overworked and discarded for any issue"

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the greatest and most hardworking people all working together to accomplish amazing feats under tight schedules. The amount of support you recieve from technicians, machinists, welders, and other support staff is astonishing. People will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Cons

No matter the anount of work that you put in or what you accomplish. The ever shifting upper management will discard you if it prevents them from having to face the CEO. Snap judgements are made and people scarmble to place the blame. Schedules are unrealistic. Knowledge is lacking. Methods are questionable. Highly unprofessional upper management.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to blame others for shortcomings and understand that you're not building cars. Understand what it takes to actually design and build these parts and assemblies and the sacrifices that it takes to achieve the impossible.