Spaceage Consulting Corp - Nice opportunity to get into Java development | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Spaceage Consulting Corp

"Nice opportunity to get into Java development"

Current Employee - Java Developer
Current Employee - Java Developer

Pros

Decent training programming to get into J2EE development, but you have to work hard to get there. Once you're on your feet as a developer you might be able to go off on your own.

Cons

Senior management seems to have evaded trouble for some questionable decisions

Spaceage Consulting Corp Response

Sep 30, 2015

Thank you for the response. SpaceAge is a software services firm. We specialize in Java-JEE technologies. We need programmers with skills in Java, JSP, Servlets, EJB, JMS, Webservices, Spring ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Spaceage Consulting Corp

"Laid foundations for my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Spaceage Consulting Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At SA, I was able to lay the foundation for a career transition to become one of those in-demand IT people whom everyone wants when they want stuff to work. During training I learned the foundations and how the interview process worked. Once I was on projects since we had to meet high expectations, I had to push myself to meet those expectations with a lot of self-learning on my own time.

Without SA, I don't think I would have been able to enjoy the career I'm having. I'd probably be working in a role far less prestigious and with less options than I currently have.

Cons

The contract terms demand a lot of commitment upfront. Decide at the beginning if it's for you.

Advice to Management

The senior management seems to have become distracted by legal entanglements when the industry is rapidly changing. I'm not sure if the training has kept up with things like closures in Java 8, dev ops, big data, etc.

"Russian Roulette"

Former Employee - Java/J2EE Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Java/J2EE Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Spaceage Consulting Corp (More than a year)

Pros

Next to none
    Minimal supervision
    Dress down culture

Cons

I'm going to be purely candid in what the process entails from a trainee/developer perspective. It is inhumane. As a trainee you are unpaid, required to mull over source code and other generic material in a roach infested residential building in Jersey City for 8-10 hrs daily. The training is entirely unstructured (self-study) coupled with mandatory 3 HR sessions on Friday in which the CEO goes over varying topics of his choosing and assesses your progress, deficiencies. Even upon "completing" training you still must be marketed to clients with a highly embellished resume and beat out your competitors on interviews who may be just as qualified as you if not more so. Upon first being placed this is where you contract kicks in and you receive salary which is below the curve for the average Java/J2EE developer anyway and depends on when you finish training. After everything I've said you can still sign the contract but just know you'll be effectively signing your death warrant.

Advice to Management

Java/J2EE Trainees deserve compensation and you damn well know it.
    Lessen hours for trainees.
    Stop playing favorites amongst developers.
    Place more faith in your employees regarding course materials.

Spaceage Consulting Corp Response

Feb 7, 2016

This is clearly defamatory. I and SpaceAge have endured this hell for a long time. It is time legal action will be taken.