Sparrow Health System - With New Management Comes New Decisions and Initiatives | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sparrow Health System

"With New Management Comes New Decisions and Initiatives"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lansing, MI
Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Sparrow Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I do not have 20 years of tenure with Sparrow; however, I have been in and around the medical field my entire life. From what I have heard, Sparrow has gone through a huge transformation in its executive body, and as such, it has really started to make different decisions to ensure it becomes a great community-driven health system--something I support wholeheartedly. I thoroughly enjoy my job, my work, and the better half of the people I work with. At times it appears things tend to take a while to materialize, such as changes in the workforce, promotions, etc. Usually, though, your patience in the matter will be rewarded.

Sparrow has been really good about trimming the fat out of the workforce. These are not necessarily bad people, just not the type you would want exemplifying your business and mission for community involvement and guidance.

Overall great place to work (although I can speak only for the IT department).

Cons

Sparrow needs to be more transparent with its promotional structure and how it gives raises. This process is currently being refined, so I can't complain too much; however, when people start seeing the current system break down with no communication explaining why, it tends to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Advice to Management

Take the time to define clear career paths and goals for your caregivers. People need to know the potential of what they can grow into and how that fits into the missions and vision of the organization. This can never be over communicated.

Other Employee Reviews for Sparrow Health System

1. "Sparrow is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Lansing, MI

Pros

Good benefits, great community of staff, great feeling to know you take care of people when they most need it

Cons

Sparrow has been growing for many years, the growth has not been well planned and the upper level, executive management is not good at working together.

Advice to Management

It is time to realize Sparrow needs to change, the executive leadership is slow to move on the right things,you want more done but are not willing to see that you are the biggest road block to Sparrow moving forward. Accountability is key.

"Unrewarded for hard work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Pros

Good benefits; Good co-workers; Nice facilities; Line staff really does care about what happens to the patients; Technology mproving in some areas

Cons

Budget problems preventing maintenance and updating of medical and IT equipment appropriately; Management does not trust staff to make decisions -- causes significant delays and prevents prompt resolution to needs of organization. Top heavey with upper management. Too much emphasis on marketing and not enough on real medical services.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their job and get rid of a few layers in the approval & decision processes. Worry more about your staff and customers than making money -- you are a non-profit.