Speakeasy - Always doing too much with too little, in too short a time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Speakeasy

"Always doing too much with too little, in too short a time"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

There was a strong support for good software development practices. They were good about letting you work from home, when you needed too.

Cons

There was very little employee career development. It was rare to get classes paid for, but they would buy books if you asked. There was too much reliance on offshore developers. There was too much reliance on offshore tech support for customers.

Advice to Management

There is great customer focus at Speakeasy (now Megapath). But, the focus on employee development and career advancement needs consideration too.

Other Employee Reviews for Speakeasy

1. "A great place to work because of the people who I worked with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Speakeasy was a relaxed and casual place to work. The people were professional yet fun to work with. Overall I thought the work environment gave me a positive experience.

Cons

While Speakeasy made attempts to provide competitive pay and benefits I feel that they were hampered by lack of capital.

Advice to Management

I believe that management needs to expand capital expenditures to give their employees access to the latest tools to keep them competitive in the market place.

2. "It was a good run, before the merge."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Speak was a great place to work -- I have made good friends and invaluable networking contacts. Best thing WAS the excellent caliber of technical folks in the rank and file.

Cons

(OK, I *always* hated the cheap-o IKEA desks lined up in bullpen style. I almost turned down the job for that alone.)

However, the real problem is the merge. In 2010 a three-way merge took place between Covad, Megapath, and Speakeasy. Speakeasy no longer exists, in spirit or any other way. The engineering team is gutted and has been since late summer. Customer service is no longer a priority. I don't know what is, exactly, other than giant bonuses for the C-level teams.

I don't believe they're hiring right now but the bottom line is, if you have a chance to work there? PASS.

Advice to Management

If you're ever in a merge again? Don't do it this way.