Special Counsel - Overall very positive with some room for improvement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Special Counsel

"Overall very positive with some room for improvement."

Current Employee - Contract Attorney in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Contract Attorney in Austin, TX

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staffing coordinators are very friendly and personable. If you build a personal relationship with them, they will go above and beyond to find a project that is the right fit for you. They want all of us to succeed. Some of the projects also have flexible scheduling, although it just depends on the client.

Cons

The downsides of working here are the same for contract work in general, in that the projects are not always consistent and there is no guarantee of future employment. The benefits are not great either. There are multiple plans to choose from but they end up being rather pricey for the coverage you receive.

Advice to Management

The holiday and vacation/bonus pay programs are designed to reward people who have worked a lot of hours for the company over the year, but the requirements are way too stringent and often don't end up rewarding deserving employees (for example, we are required to work the day before and the day after a holiday to qualify for seven hours of holiday pay - makes it difficult to have a life outside of work and still get the modicum of benefits offered).

Other Employee Reviews for Special Counsel

"Nice people, disappointing results"

Former Contractor - Document Review Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Document Review Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The recruiters are very nice. They tried to make the contract projects more tolerable by providing refrigerators, water coolers, etc.

Cons

I was seeking a permanent job, but never once had an interview for a permanent placement. They always wanted to put me on document review projects. The document review jobs were certainly better than working retail to pay the bills, but the morale was almost always very low on such jobs and there was little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about permanent job prospects with candidates.

"Very pleasant experience"

Current Contractor - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

One of the largest legal staffing company

Cons

It's document review, I signed up for this job knowing that it could get dull.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints. Overall, positive experience.