Specialty's Cafe & Bakery - Weekends are all mine! | Glassdoor

"Weekends are all mine!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yes! Specialtys does not open on the weekends and is open only M-F 6am-6pm.; allows for a great work/life balance. Health benefits are available (medical/dental) and options for a 401K account are also attainable.
As far as day to day operations, you will face many challenges but this should be expected while in the food industry. Strive for excellence and in no time promotions will come. Working at Specialtys can be challenging. It is expected for ALL to work diligently; and each team member is fairly held accountable. I think this is great since it is known the next person will work just as hard as you do. In my time at Specialtys, I've acquired many skills and experience and I know I'll continue to gain more.

-Meal discounts
-Standard training
-Checklists, recipes and countless other resources are at hand to be able to do the job correctly

Cons

The environment can be stressful at times; however, it is expected when you work in a downtown cafe. You can prepare for it and you can learn from your mistakes. Plus you can always look forward to the weekend!

Other Employee Reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

1. "It's OK."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get monthly gift card allowance.

Cons

If you are salaried, expect to work long hours.

2. "Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good food, decent pay, and weekends off.

Cons

Employes are being pestered to write high rating reviews to make the company look good. Is that the type of place you want to work? There is blatant favoritism going on at this place. I've seen some excellent people fail at this job because management was unwilling to fix issues like understaffing or just plain refusing to hold less productive employes accountable for a crappy job. Morale is low and if management can find a scapegoat, they will.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves for forcing employees to write positive reviews on here. If you can't get decent reviews on here on your own, then you need to change what you are doing.