Specialty's Cafe & Bakery - I wouldn't recommend this place to people I know even though I love their food. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

"I wouldn't recommend this place to people I know even though I love their food."

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love their food and I can't think of any other good reason.

Cons

They give a schedule and showed up to work and they cut your hours and send you home early or change your schedule without having the courtesy of calling you to let you know they change your starting time. They hire just about anybody to manage the place even if they can barely speak English and uneducated. The last manager I had was so annoying with an irritating voice and trying to catch you in the smallest mistake you make to get in your case and get you in trouble and eventually fired you. Make sure they'll put you to work in the position that you applied for because I applied for a customer service position and they put me to work in production in the back when I clearly applied for a front customer service position.

Advice to Management

Managers need more training in treating all the employees fairly and stop playing favors and not to use their position just to fire people and give more and better hours to your buddies.

Other Employee Reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong chance of a M-F schedule, which is hard to find in the restaurant industry. The food quality is phenomenal. This is a made from scratch bakery, and they are very well known for their freshness and especially their amazing cookies. As a customer, this place is awesome. They pride themselves on being both a restaurant and a technology company, and I will say that they have been very successful at both. It is just a shame that the point of view is completely different on the other side of the counter.

Cons

Compensation for managers start out at $16/hr which sounds nice, but there is no bonus potential until you reach Area GM level, and even then, it is hard to obtain. They pile on the expectation, with little to no support. Day usually starts at 5:30am and you are lucky to get out before 6pm on most days. The stress levels are very high, and the upper management uses fear as a means to motivate. I wouldn't wish this company on anyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Stop using fear and intimidation to attempt to motivate. Simplify your processes, and start taking care of your employees. I literally watched the evolution of an external hire Area Manager go from a positive, encouraging and highly looked upon leader to a stressed out, visually unhappy and demeaning person in a matter of months. This person came from a much larger role, so it wasn't the workload that turned her this way...it was the culture. Things need to change.

"Everyone is treated like a factory worker, including corporate employees."

Former Employee - Corporate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekends are free, culture appears professional

Cons

The office has shoulder height cubes. They mandate that no items be above the cubicle wall. They have omnidirectional cameras mounted on the ceiling where everyone can be observed. Every conversation is broadcast throughout the entire region of the office.

It's a top-down hierarchy where to be a good employee, you must do what your told.

Obviously, they don't have much trust in their employees.

Very little leadership, only action from above.

Advice to Management

Ask what the employees might need even if you think you have a solution. Your employees know what they want, you might not be able to deliver, but at least take a survey.