Speck - An Enjoyable Experience. | Glassdoor

"An Enjoyable Experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great upper management in almost all departments. You get to work with truly talented people. The products are well designed.

Cons

The company grew quickly so naturally there were some growing pains

Other Employee Reviews for Speck

"Great People, ok Company"

Pros

•The people that work here are wonderful and extremely smart
    • Lot of free cases
    • Wonderful transitional company to grow your career
    • One of the best field marketing teams in the industry

Cons

• Don't bother trying to contribute because your opinion doesn't matter
    • There's no upward mobility unless you're based near the corporate office, and even that's questionable

"Total Dysfunction"

I worked at Speck full-time

Pros

-Really, no pros. I do not recommend applying to jobs here.
    -Maybe Samsonite will turn it around.

Cons

-I couldn't wait to get out of here. The whole place is a joke, but especially the product development team.
    -There are some real bad characters on the PD team. No cohesion. There's no semblance of a team. It's just a bunch of misfits together in a small, low ceiling office that's made for rats, not people.
    -I've worked with some CAD experts. No one in PD knows much about Pro Engineer. Granted, Specks products are stupidly simple, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. But the level of knowledge is low. There's also no legitimate PLM system in place. Lot's of chaos and dysfunction with file/rev management and document control.
    -The office is horrible. It's in a building in the middle of nowhere (McDonalds is the closest food option!), the building is deserted, and the office itself reminds me of a structure that cats play on. A bunch of compartments connected to one another. It's embarrassing.
    -The products are ill-conceived. There's no real process in design, anlysis, or testing. There's no innovation or blue sky thinking. We wait until companies launch electronics, we make quick/cheap cases for them, and then we go into production. Nothing we do is unique or challenging.
    -There is no true engineering involved unless you're in materials or manufacturing. There is nothing mechanical about these products, so if you're a mechanical engineer you will be wasted and disappointed.
    -And worst of all, Speck still thinks it's a great place to work. Speckian culture! The place has no culture. It's an office. People work. People go home. The picture that HR will try to paint is horribly wrong and misleading.

Advice to Management

Give people better tools to succeed. Start doing something else. You will never keep talented engineers around if you're always chasing the next plastic case. Move offices, create a culture, and create a process for developing products. GL