Specsavers - Retail industry with a difference | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Specsavers

"Retail industry with a difference"

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Specsavers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continual webex training for staff to further develop their skills in the optical industry, therefore, you don't need to be a qualified/experienced dispenser to start your career at Specsavers. The staff and family members gets discounts on glasses and contact lenses.

Cons

If you are new to the optical industry, you might find it overwhelming with the ever changing offers Specsavers have, as well as getting to know about claiming health funds.

Other Employee Reviews for Specsavers

"A fine employer, with awful awful management"

Former Employee - Developer in Whiteley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Whiteley, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still a family-run business, Specsavers personal touch is really good. Hand-written birthday cards every year from the owners, sounds trivial but is surprisingly touching. The bonus scheme is tremendous. The social events laid on by Specsavers are great, summer ball in particular.

Cons

I can only speak for IT, but the day-to-day running of things is nothing short of shambolic. Virtually every decision made is made by the people least qualified to make it. Every single lesson learnt is ignored. Everything the rest of the industry sees as unworkable, is used at Specsavers. There is a culture of mutual backslapping that assures the competent will never succeed. Office politics plays an enormous role, with projects being deliberately sabotaged by upper IT management, in order to qualify for certain bonuses.

Ostensibly, rocking the boat is encouraged, but it creates a definite glass ceiling, and calling out the wrong manager on a mistake will silently damage your career at Specsavers. If you're opinionated, this is not the place for you If you enjoy having arbitrary rules and restrictions imposed on you by people who have read and misunderstood a popular book, you might just fit in.

Advice to Management

Sack yourselves. Every single one of you. YOU are the problem. This includes all project managers. Get rid of the bonus scheme, and pay market salary instead. The bonuses are counter-productive. I was fortunate enough to have a manager that artificially fudged my bonuses, as he recognised I consistently failed to meet my objectives by actually focusing on doing my job well. I was in the minority. Most people are hitting their bonuses AT THE EXPENSE of project work.

2. "Specsavers are about getting the most money out of customers while retaining their trust"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Being a chain of optical stores there is a sense of team spirit in the workplace as well as a large patient base, meaning that they always tend to be busy.

Cons

The pressure to sell sell sell and continually make profits in a role that is essentially a health care provider.

Advice to Management

Change the decor of the stores -its bland and dull. Offer more staff discount and bonus schemes to retain staff.