Spencer Gifts - Fun to work, too much expectations for sales associates | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Spencer Gifts

"Fun to work, too much expectations for sales associates"

Current Employee - Floor Sales Associate in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Floor Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun environment, If your young you would really enjoy your customers. I enjoy that customers are our main priority. You have a small staff so you feel like family at times.

Cons

Too much work for minimum wage. The random change of shifts gets annoying, and the job could be more professional at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Spencer Gifts

1. "It is a fun stepping stone into the world of retail."

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One can express their individuality without being judged. Stress level is minimum compared to other retailers. Very well structured and is ever changing.

Cons

Pay and bonuses are laughable.

"Sales Associate for half a year, never working in a mall again"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bay Shore, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bay Shore, NY

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, sometimes fun, interesting people work there, no dress code, employee discounts

Cons

Everything gets old. Fast. No hours, shoddy pay (like really less than $100 for two weeks), bi-weekly pay, unfair treatment (SS would always come late, or just not come, nothing. I have a panic attack at work and get written up for slacking off. This place honestly caused me to have multiple panic attacks a month. They changed the schedule on days I was off (which was 6 days of the week) and never told me, I was fired for missing work twice (two more write ups) because of this. Huge shoplifting problem (to be fair those people are the ones they target) both customers AND employees. Silly pocket check does nothing. Obligation to talk to and push every single customer to buy things like some kind of used car salesman.

Oh, and almost all the stuff there is cheap crap from China worth not even half what it's priced for and falls apart like nothing.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, stop picking favorites. You hire too many people with almost no reason to actually hire them, I almost didn't say a word the whole interview and she just talked and talked and I got the job. Maybe if you tried a little harder to get to know who you're hiring this place wouldn't be in the toilet.