Spencer Ogden - Excellent | Glassdoor

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong brand, great backing and huge opportunity.

Cons

Its hard work but any job would be if you have the potential to earn over six figures

Other Employee Reviews for Spencer Ogden

1. "I Love It"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is great and my colleagues have become some of my best friends. Management truly care about their employees & their futures. I've had some of the best times of my life working for this company. While working here I've seen people make 70k, 20k, 17k, 5k, commission checks a month, every month... That's life changing money. Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure. It's a great place to learn how to grow a business.

Cons

Recruitment also isn't for everyone. If you aren't a positive person, you wont do well. If you don't like talking to people, you wont do well.

Advice to Management

Flex hours.... Lets have flex hours.

2. "Senior Lead"

Current Employee - Senior Lead in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From a cultural perspective, our office is 5 star. We have a collaborative and synergistic group of hard working individuals with a common goal of success. While changes tend to move slowly since we are a large, global organization, the executive team does take heed in employees' suggestions.

There are a lot of recruitment agencies that hire recent grads in large classes and put them through a boot-camp type training and expect essentially only the strong to survive. Spencer-Ogden has done this in the past but recognizes that this isn't the most effective way to hire and rather identifies qualified individuals through a diligent internal recruitment process. In this way, SO identifies talent that has the resilience to work in this industry. Recruitment is not an easy industry and will always be competitive. Not everyone is suited for the ups & downs that this job can bring so to be successful here, you have to have the right attitude and a thick skin.

Which brings me to my final pro-point and that is if you have the right attitude and determination, there are the management mechanisms in place to help you to get where you want to go in your career. Regardless of your level, from entry up to management, Spencer-Ogden is a great place to grow your career.

Cons

Spencer-Ogden is a UK based firm so there are some cultural shifts someone who is used to working for American owned companies. Certainly not a "con", but can be an adjustment for those not expecting it.

Getting new processes in place can take a long time as we are still relatively start-up in the US and a global company with the Executive team sitting in London.

I've worked at a couple different agencies in the past and I have to say that SO is not the highest paying by a long shot. The commission structure has been under review for at least 6 months and while in need of a major revamp and in recognizing this can take time, it needs to be updated and soon.

Advice to Management

My biggest recommendation would be to update the commission structure. Second would be to decrease the time that it takes to implement changes from both a technology as well as a personnel perspective.

Spencer Ogden Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review in which you make some excellent points.