Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) - Underwhelming | Glassdoor

"Underwhelming"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY
Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The potential to earn a decent living (provided that you live in or near NYC, or possibly LA), Company provided vehicle and gas. Hotel card, and a rather meager "meal compensation."

Cons

I write this with regret. I believe a potential could exist for this company, however too many factors would need to be changed in order for it to be a viable recommendation. There is a chasm of disconnect between the expectation of upper management, and that which is possible, regarding travel, physical and mental fatigue etc on a technician. It would be too easy to slur this company, and its retention rate would certainly confirm this, however, and I am being very specific here, if You are single, and have any basic modicum of IT/telephony/cabling, You may enjoy this for a specific amount of time. There is a certain "set up for failure" mentality that pervades this company, and thats rather sad, as it serves some of the highest end retailers in the world(prepare for the customers IT specialists offer's to buy You lunch, out of pity) Which begs the question, is it more cost effective for them to simply do a constant turn around on employees? It is seemingly so, as no true investment whatsoever will be made into You becoming a viable, and long term employee, with a voice and something to contribute. In other words, You will be worked, and You will be spit out.

Advice to Management

Perhaps do away with minimum wage for traveling? Which can constitute up to half Your time on the clock? One week vacation is absolutely HORRIBLE after what the techs are put thru, physically and mentally. Horrible, and You should be ashamed.

Other Employee Reviews for Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

"All about the botttom dollar"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Pay was competitive
    Back in the day the company was great to work for

Cons

Senior management only cares about bottom dollar
    Company hires people only to lay them off in November every year
    Company does not properly class people as exempt and non-exempt
    Benefits offered are not competitive in the marketplace
    Senior Management promotes the wrong people
    Senior Management tries to grow company too fast

Advice to Management

Start to actually care about it's employees, without good, quality employees, the company is not successful.

"Great Company with lots of Opportunity"

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Spencer has been part of my life for a while now and it has been great to be part of the team. The upper management in the company have been fantastic and really care about their employees. There has been times that I have made mistakes and have always had the backing I needed to fix the mistake and was not made to feel like it was a big deal. the entire company feels like a family and that feeling is passed on to customers. Really like the the fact that the average employee tenure in the company is more than 7 years. There is a real entrepreneurial feeling in our culture and if you have ideas and drive to succeed you can rise up. The CEO has been very open to new ideas, even creating a suggestion box for any employee to reach out with new ideas or fixes for problems. His door has always been open and is very approachable. This is a great company for employees and customers.

Cons

There are a few employees that do not understand customer service and complain a lot instead of taking ownership and fixing problems. Lot of hours working at this job, you have to learn how to manage your time so that it does not take you over.

Advice to Management

I say we keep on the path the is on and grow the business, we have a great reputation and our customers love us, lets continue on that path. I have seen some complaints about work life balance, and I gave it 3 stars below. This is because of two things, this is a very demanding environment and requires for a lot salaried employees to be always on. We could do a better job when interviewing telling the new people that expectation. at least we can tell the cry babys we told you how demanding this is. The second reason is at times this job is just that way during peak season everyone is busy. But beginning of year and end of year not so much so suck it up cupcake and if this job is not for you please help your self to the door, because it is what it is.