Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) - Underwhelming | Glassdoor

"Underwhelming"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY
Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The potential to earn a decent living (provided that you live in or near NYC, or possibly LA), Company provided vehicle and gas. Hotel card, and a rather meager "meal compensation."

Cons

I write this with regret. I believe a potential could exist for this company, however too many factors would need to be changed in order for it to be a viable recommendation. There is a chasm of disconnect between the expectation of upper management, and that which is possible, regarding travel, physical and mental fatigue etc on a technician. It would be too easy to slur this company, and its retention rate would certainly confirm this, however, and I am being very specific here, if You are single, and have any basic modicum of IT/telephony/cabling, You may enjoy this for a specific amount of time. There is a certain "set up for failure" mentality that pervades this company, and thats rather sad, as it serves some of the highest end retailers in the world(prepare for the customers IT specialists offer's to buy You lunch, out of pity) Which begs the question, is it more cost effective for them to simply do a constant turn around on employees? It is seemingly so, as no true investment whatsoever will be made into You becoming a viable, and long term employee, with a voice and something to contribute. In other words, You will be worked, and You will be spit out.

Advice to Management

Perhaps do away with minimum wage for traveling? Which can constitute up to half Your time on the clock? One week vacation is absolutely HORRIBLE after what the techs are put thru, physically and mentally. Horrible, and You should be ashamed.

Other Employee Reviews for Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

"All about the botttom dollar"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Pay was competitive
    Back in the day the company was great to work for

Cons

Senior management only cares about bottom dollar
    Company hires people only to lay them off in November every year
    Company does not properly class people as exempt and non-exempt
    Benefits offered are not competitive in the marketplace
    Senior Management promotes the wrong people
    Senior Management tries to grow company too fast

Advice to Management

Start to actually care about it's employees, without good, quality employees, the company is not successful.

"Carrot on a stick"

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company started as a great place to work. Promised training and opportunities to grow in multiple departments

Cons

-They avoid performance reviews like the plague
    -Abolished working from home even though it was discussed and allowed when I signed my contract
    -Did not follow through on training opportunities promised.
    -Did not follow through my raise for a year after it was due.
    -Management in my experience were not qualified nor had education in management. There is no reason to have 4 different managers in 1 year.
    -Do not listen to advice from employees on ways to grow and improve processes.

Advice to Management

There is no advice in the world I can give. Upper management is extremely disconnected. It is a small company trying a big business model. It is like trying to build a Bugatti with Honda parts.