Cover image for Spiceworks Ziff Davis

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great work from anywhere culture

Jul 18, 2022 - Quality Assurance Editor in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is great about boundaries around your personal life. Several times, senior executives would call out other executives for logging in while on vacation/parental leave/etc for logging in to do work as a way to take the pressure off those downstream. SWZD was work from anywhere before the pandemic, so they have it figured out. Technology package provided by company (mac or pc, monitors, peripherals, etc) along with a stipend for setting up a home office - even if you already have everything. More companies need to copy SWZD's culture to successfully implement a work-from-anywhere or hybrid work environment. They have a "camera on/mic off" policy for large meeting, so I could see that many people were working from their back patio, poolside or other non-home office locations. Plenty of opportunities to get face-time with the CEO, Division VPs & Department heads through virtual "coffee breaks" where they would send Starbucks gift cards, etc to buy you lunch. Weekly 1 to 1 with direct managers along with weekly immediate team meetings meant that you got to know your co-workers and cared about them as people. We used Slack as an instant messenger during the day to ask questions and stay connected with specific streams for project stakeholders and separate streams for silly things like pet pictures and recipes. Their efforts combated the #1 complaint from people who are in love with the office. Other than the monthly town halls, I never had a meeting last longer than 30m (town halls were 45m) and SWZD was really great about not forcing people into useless meeting that made you push your work off into your personal after hours time.

Cons

The bulk of business is done during 9-5 Central US so the bulk of meetings might interfere with lunch, etc. SWZD has divisions in India & England, so the work never stops and it's easy to overwork yourself, thinking it's expected. This is probably why the company stresses the importance of disconnecting and not checking emails after hours.

1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Work Family I’ve Ever Had

Jan 9, 2023 - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

SWZD is a place of inclusion and diversity. I feel like I can be my authentic self and know that I’ll be supported and encouraged to keep doing so. With work in this industry a lot is similar from day to day tasks, but what keeps me here and to keep striving is hands down the people that I get to work with. Everyone is always looking out for each other and the transparency is appreciated.

Cons

With a lot of changes and growth come growing pains. There have been quite a few adjustments and reallocations within the org.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee

Expect layoffs

Feb 1, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some people could be great to work with. Health insurance wasn't awful.

Cons

This company doesn't even try to hide the fact that it prefers cheap labor over quality labor. You'll meet someone, work with for four months, and then they'll be replaced by someone in India who won't last longer than six months (because this company is so cheap that it can't even pay a living wage in India). They've laid off whole departments on a whim, with no plans on how to make up for lost revenue or support. Pass over any opportunities from them unless you're desperate.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Spiceworks Ziff Davis.

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Photos

+ Add Photo
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: WFH Collage
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: Lunch and Learn
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: Team Lunch
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: Onboarding Day, Welcome kit
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: Team outing
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: Dinner with the leaders
Spiceworks Ziff Davis photo of: The clear winner is...

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Job Seekers Also Viewed