Sports Authority - Good beginner job for post high school kids. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

"Good beginner job for post high school kids."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

Relaxed environment, fun people to work with, decent pay for what you do. At times could be considered a pseudo-family environment. Compensation is okay. Benefits are fine. Hours are fairly flex, and management could be accomodating.

Cons

Nothing out of the oridnary when compared to other jobs. Lax management styles are compensated with various excuses. Poor compensation for some managers. Senior management's focus lacks the input of those working for them regionally; whether it comes from other managers or other senior associate staff. Communication hindered by poor leadership. Environment can be come very hostile with caddy behavior.

Advice to Management

Grow a back bone, that's why they pay you more.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

1. "Listen to us, hear us, and do not neglect us, you need us."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Rockville, MD

Pros

I still have a job in this "economy."

Cons

This company wants you to turn water into wine with no payroll to do it. Along with assisting every customer in footwear and selling a coverage plan on 20% of the shoes you sell, you still have to do major tasking and vendor recalls. No organization from the top. They think they know what they are doing but never ask for any feedback from any of its field employees. Let me remind you that we are making their salaries through our hard work but we receive no acknowledgment of that. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, WE SEE REALITY IN THE STORES.

Advice to Management

Listen to us, hear us, and do not neglect us, you need us.

2. "review"

Former Employee - Merch Proccessor
    Former Employee - Merch Proccessor

Pros

It's easy to talk to people that you work with on a shift.
    Store-level environment between visits from corporate execs can be fun and positive for a few minutes a month.

Cons

Employee morale is bad.
    Corporate execs spend too much time micromanaging. Store managers are too busy worrying about meeting unrealistic expectations from upper management, and being micromanaged. Corporate management spends so much time micromanaging that there is no time or effort made to improve customer service, or to focus on what makes a store work. Corporate management does not give store-level management a chance to function.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Give your districts reasonable expectations. Allow for a better working environment. Don't be so cheap - PAY your people. Spend more on store-level staff. More staff means better customer service, usually. You can't effectively sell if there is nobody there to make the sale. The department associate to customer ratio should never be higher than three customers to an associate. Spend less on corporate travel. A DM only needs to visit a store once a quarter, and a RM should only visit twice a year. Management above that level should only visit once annually. For stores that base a DM, the store manager should actually be an assistant manager - the DM can do manager duty while in-store and the assistant manager takes over when the DM is not in-store. Don't pay your execs so high. Bonuses are a great incentive - but offer bonuses on EVERY level, not just to management. The store associates have no incentive to sell, other than they will get fired if they don't meet unreasonable numbers. This creates low morale. Value your people. If you don't treat them right they will screw you.