Sports Authority - Just the Service Desk portion of the I.T. department - 3 words: High. Turnover. Rate | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

"Just the Service Desk portion of the I.T. department - 3 words: High. Turnover. Rate"

Former Employee - Level I Help Desk (Now Service Desk) Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on sports good and clothing. Decent health plan.

Cons

If you're looking to work in a call center environment, and don't let your would-be job title fool you, it's a call center job, where you're always being pushed to do more work, using subpar equipment and outdated software that will never be upgraded because it's free to them, and working under lower management that is hyperfocused on meeting SLA's and documentation to the degree that is better suited for a law office, then Sports Authority's Service Desk division of the I.T. department is where you want to work.

There have been more people who have come and gone from that department than I have ever seen anywhere else I've worked. They have a ridiculously high turnover rate and now that I'm gone I understand why.

Lower management liberally throws around the feel good corporate buzzwords like "team" and "family" and "communication" (communication, by the way, is just another word for 'documentation to CYA'), and they have lovely little flowcharts to show you an alledged "promotion path" and you can even make suggestions on how to improve things (which will be formally acknowledged and then promptly ignored), but they deliver poorly with employee retention because they don't actually go to bat to improve working conditions, be they job-related, equipment-related, scheduling related, and they have severe tunnel vision regarding both their department's expenses(overtime is a horrid word, they're using old ticket management software that has to be run on a platform that is using an emulator of an old version of internet explorer and crashes half the time you use it on your old windows xp based pc) and their standards of practice to deliver better customer service, but then again, their customers are "just the store employees" (unless you're a company officer, THEN you'll actually see real customer service standards come into play) so, despite all their talk about how important the store employees are because "without them we don't make any money and we don't have jobs", it's all fluff.

After speaking with an external recruiter about this company, I was told that this high turnover rate is something done deliberately to keep long term costs down. During my time there, I've seen more than qualified individuals being fed through this department's turnover machine without so much as a second thought. I've seen people who have been there for a long time being passed over for promotions over others who have not been there as long, but had better "socializing with the boss" skills. Sociopaths and brown nosers who don't actually work will excel in this department and maybe the entire division. Lower management likes to take care of their own.

Oh, you may be interested to know that your Service Desk position will have an on-call element to it, even though they don't tell you that during the interview, and that lower management will try to get you to do their job for them when you need some time off but they need coverage.

Department morale takes a back seat to lower management's toe the party line goals.

Advice to Management

Dear upper management. Do yourselves and your non-management employees a favor and fire everyone in lower management. They are not reporting to you what you really need to know, they're telling you what you want to hear simply keep their jobs. If you are not sociopathic yourselves, you will see how this will negatively affect both the quality of work you'll get from your employees as well as your ability to keep quality employees in your divisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

"Great people, but they are all leaving."

Current Employee - Engineer II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, especially if you find the right team. There are a few really outstanding managers and directors still around there.

Cons

All the best people are leaving, and management doesn't understand why. No flex time or work from home (officially) allowed. Constantly putting out fires instead of preventing the fires in the first place.

Advice to Management

When half the IT team leave, you might consider the fact that putting all their work on top of those left will only encourage them to leave too.

2. "Profit driven company with little regard for values"

Former Employee - Sales Authority in Oakdale, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Authority in Oakdale, MN

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sports atmosphere
    Fun co-workers
    Customers are typically friendly and enjoyable to help

Cons

More concerned with profits than value
    No loyalty to workers
    Forced to sell useless warranty plans
    Problems are deflected onto lower workers rather than creating plausible solutions

Advice to Management

Build a business focused on the company mission and values, rather than driving for more profit. Customers have the most contact with associates, if the associates are miserable because management is threatening them for "poor" sales the customer will see this and be less motivated to return.