Sports Authority - Sports Authority is Growing, but I'm staying put | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

"Sports Authority is Growing, but I'm staying put"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in East Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in East Palo Alto, CA

Pros

It was my first real job out of college. High volume stores at middle mngmt make you grow. I was able to transfer from the eastcoast to 2 different states and work at 4 locations within 4 years, all without losing a step.

Cons

while I've been content with the company overall. It was not until being passed over 3 times for a promotion and bringing external people into the company I chose to leave

Advice to Management

look at and coach your staff, so externals are not brought in

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

"Solid company in need of more employee recognition/ ownership"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Solid Company with a strong upper management philosophy to withstand these tough economic times. I think that they are commited to promoting from within whenever possible.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to drive sales as well as perform numerous tasks throughout each week, however, I believe that in order to survive this rough economy, this pressure is probably necessary. Ads need to be run for more than one week when certain items continue to be on sale, this would save the company immensely just in the amount of paper and ink that are run through weekly not to mention the amount of time it takes to set an ad when time could be better spent driving sales.

Advice to Management

With a lack of payroll, I believe that employees are being stretched over a wide spectrum of duties. I think positive recognition and compensation is necessary to improve morale. Tasking is certainly important in any retail position, yet many times, especially in smaller stores, there is a difficult balance between getting directives completed and driving sales as we should be doing.

2. "What you need to know."

Current Employee - Fitness in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Fitness in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I think some of the better reasons to work here are that you do get the chance to prove yourself on a daily basis. Sometimes the payoff is great and sometimes not so much. But at least there are some managers out there that actually do thank you for a job well done. And, sometimes that is hard to find.

Cons

There are always downsides to any job. That's why they call it a JOB. The cons are always entrenched management with no chance of them moving on. So they are just so freaking bitter with what life dealt them that they pass that bitterness on to you. Then there are the sub-par associates that work hard one day and then think they are entitled to more break time and longer lunches and looking like crap on a daily basis. Then there are the "teenie boppers" that just stand around and just talk all day and don't do a dang thing. So there is always going to be "downsides".

Advice to Management

Appreciate the fact that there are people willing to work for you. Don't ever forget to thank them either.