Sports Authority - A career of misery | Glassdoor

"A career of misery"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Jensen Beach, FL
Current Employee - Team Leader in Jensen Beach, FL

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discount: cost + 10 a couple of times a year. Otherwise 25%.

Cons

Company doesn't promote from within after depth manager. For Co or store manager you have to be hired from outside. Full time is considered 32 hours until next year when it will be 30. Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so. Example: don't have an item in stock you spend your time calling several stores and then tell the customer to go get it. Can't transfer items store to store unless you go pick it up but company doesn't want to do paid outs for gas. Run out of items in mid season and can't get more in quick enough. Scattered focus and too many things to tell one customer so you can't get to the rest. Every customer has to have loyalty ecp and sofsole sold to them. Then no follow through. Customers get loyalty and rewards are good for them but card isn't automatic at register and you can't look up their previous purchases for returns with it. All technologies is ancient and no money is spent to upgrade. Store managers are told to work 7 days a week when payroll is tight which is always. Your job is based on scores set by corporate and the numbers change constantly. I'm one week our sales goals were raised three times. This company will be going under soon. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Deadweight is not in your minimum wage employees. There aren't enough in any store. Cutting to the bone in payroll in a customer service first company doesn't work. Just look at your cei. Two top complaints nobody to help customers and not enough stock. Funny your stores are telling you that. Pay attention! You've already lost most of the people who care and now the people you have don't.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

"Don't plan on having a life outside of work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discounts
    Good pay at store manager level

Cons

Zero work/life balance
    Frequent corporate visits
    Constant resets for no purpose
    Culture of fear to "motivate" the stores

Advice to Management

Trim some of the fat at Regional level. The East regional team motivated by threatening jobs constantly. Not a good environment to work in.

2. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with scheduling, if I couldn't work they would reschedule me.

Cons

I was hired as a seasonal employee, but at the same time as hiring me, they hired 10 other ones. They gave us hours but as quick as they gave them they took them away.

Advice to Management

Hire less people, give them more hours