Sports Authority - Great part-time job | Glassdoor

"Great part-time job"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Rockville, MD

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job gave me the experience of working in a high volume retail store. You learn how to deal with customers and daily tasks in the retail world. Steady raises if you work hard and make sales.

Cons

You're sales are tracked weekly and compared with all competing employees in your department.

Advice to Management

Work with new hires individually, teaching them the necessary techniques of selling. Don't throw them in the water and expect them to post great numbers on the weekly reports.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

1. "It was an average, low-level job."

Former Contractor - Sniagrab Associate in Murray, UT
    Former Contractor - Sniagrab Associate in Murray, UT

I worked at Sports Authority as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They worked around my school schedule. Most of my coworkers were reliable ad worked their fair share. Hard work was somewhat rewarded.

Cons

They treated me like I was a screw-up, and as though I and my coworkers were going to fail. They promised hours, and pay, that we never received. They weren't very understanding.

Advice to Management

Drop the condescension, and stick with your promises. If you hire me, respect me. If you offer a job, provide it.

"When will the sale be completed/"

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have a job to support my family. For now.
    Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work!)

Cons

where to start?
    Scheduling to minimum hours=management only works 32 hours a week...nice paycut!
    Part time staff, which is supposed to be 60% of the workforce, gets 10 hrs a week
    Part time staff makes minumum wage with a chance at a raise once a year....for 17 cents Per Hour
    Company is doing so poorly that stores that would have been on action plans in the past are top performers....gotta love the bell curve!
    New Small store format? at the rate we are going, all stores will have the sales of a small store format
    seasonal directives are changed daily
     4 updates to outdoors in a two week period? and no clue as to what goes where?
    Work load goes up, hours available to complete mandated changes to store layout are no longer available. (minimum hours required regardless of tasking required) and dont forget corporate visitors!
    CEI expectation is that 71% of the customers surveyed must be "highly satisfied" and mention names on the survey. ? 71% of the customers never see an associate except the cashier in most stores.
    most comments left from customers are " couldnt find anyone on the floor,( nobody scheduled) couldnt find anyone to open fitting rooms, couldnt find what i was looking for (because it is in the backroom)

Loyalty signups expected to be at a minimum 35% conversion......if below you need to have "conversations with your underperformers", run clinics, doesnt matter if the day before you ran a 50%, hey, the cashiers are running the store from the frontend while the managers are working frieght. too much room for fraud..asset protection is looking for loyalty abuse rather than stopping that guy who just ran out the front doors with an arm full of North Face and Nike shoes

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. they are frustrated and out looking for a different job.